What is wrong with him??

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Note: The cage is only temporary! Please do NOT bash me about him being in a cage.

Our 8 month old cockerel finally crowed yesterday but it was pathetic and quiet. Nobody else who heard it realized it was a crow because of how it sounded. I was the only one who recognized it. He's currently inside and he keeps trying to crow but nothing is coming out, not even a quiet gasp. He's drinking & eating fine. I felt around but there's nothing stuck. I checked inside his mouth but I saw nothing. The only noise he makes, is the usually noise a chicken makes when it talks.
I have attached videos below to show what I mean.
The second video is the one that mostly shows what I'm talking about but I'm attaching both because in the first one he makes a talking noise.

I felt his crop first thing in the morning and it was empty before I fed him.
His nostrils are clear. And he normally sounds like that outside.
No bird vets nearby
The only noise he makes, is the usually noise a chicken makes when it talks.
Is he eating/drinking normally, active if you put him outside?
IF he's not in distress, getting picked on, can eat/drink on his own, is active (not lethargic) - then I would put him back with the others and see how it goes. He may have a bit of food lodged or something. Give him a bit of time to see if that corrects itself.

He sounds a bit congested. Are his nostrils clear?
I would check to see if his crop is emptying overnight.

Could be he has a respiratory illness, but without more symptoms it's hard to know. Re-check inside his beak and throat just to make sure there's nothing stuck and no canker.

Crowing is a complicated procedure requiring multiple air sacs. It's possible they aren't developed yet and will change. Could be genetic as well. I had a rooster whose crow sounded like a low cough from a deep chested man and another who sounded like a goofy chuckle. Took them awhile to work out the kinks to sound like proper roosters.

Crowing is a complicated procedure requiring multiple air sacs. It's possible they aren't developed yet and will change. Could be genetic as well. I had a rooster whose crow sounded like a low cough from a deep chested man and another who sounded like a goofy chuckle. Took them awhile to work out the kinks to sound like proper roosters.
His first and only crow(so far) yesterday sounded like a tortured chicken, which is why my family didn't know it was a crow.

Is he eating/drinking normally, active if you put him outside?
IF he's not in distress, getting picked on, can eat/drink on his own, is active (not lethargic) - then I would put him back with the others and see how it goes. He may have a bit of food lodged or something. Give him a bit of time to see if that corrects itself.
Unfortunately he can't go back outside yet. I didn't show it in the video but he's currently being treated for a small cut on his left leg. It's small but like the worrier I am, I don't want the hens/pullets to pick at it.

Glad he’s ok. What do you mean you lost them to the hens? Did the hens kill the roosters? If so, they might kill this one. Are the hens standard size? How much space do they have and what do you feed them? Has this little guy established himself in the flock yet?

Back
Top Bottom