What is wrong with his eye?

katrinaweber

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
Plymouth WI
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.15.32 AM.png

What is wrong with his eye? I called a couple of vets, they don't see birds. I did some research online and think maybe it's Coryza? Yesterday it was in the one eye and developed overnight. I cleaned it with antibacterial soap and put Neosporin on it. Today it looks about the same and the other eye is looking a little puffier than normal. Is there anything I can do for him? Other chickens seem okay. They are all about 8 weeks old, free range during the day and go into a pen at night. Do I need to keep him away from the others? They all like to huddle together in the bushes. Any insight would be appreciated.

Fowl cholera is an acute infectious disease of chickens, turkeys, pheasants, pigeons, waterfowl, sparrows, and other wild, free-flying birds. A chronic form of the disease also exists and may occur following an acute outbreak. The causative organism for fowl cholera is Pasteurella multiocida, a gram negative bipolar bacterium. The organism is fairly hardy and can survive at least 1 month in droppings, 3 months in decaying carcasses, and 2–3 months in soil. Pasteurellaenters tissues of the mouth and upper respiratory tract and is not transmitted through the egg. The disease is seldom seen in chickens under 4 months of age but is commonly seen in turkeys at younger ages.

• Transmission can occur through secretions from carrier birds, infected droppings, or cannibalism of dead birds, as well as through contaminated feed, water, equipment, or clothing. Wild birds and animals such as raccoons, opossums, dogs, cats, pigs, and rodents may harbor the disease and serve as reservoirs of infection that actively spread the disease.
  • Clinical signs may be lacking in birds that die during peracute (very acute and very short duration; usually proving fatal) outbreaks. In the acute form, some birds may die without showing symptoms, but many others will be visibly ill before death. When present, signs may include sudden unexpected deaths in the flock, depression, decreased feed intake, stupor, cyanosis (bluish-purple discoloration of the head), lameness resulting from joint infection, swollen wattles (particularly in male birds), difficulty breathing, and green, watery diarrhea. Typical lesions may include pinpoint hemorrhages in the mucous and serous membranes and/or abdominal fat; inflammation of the upper third of the small intestine; light, firm “parboiled” appearance to the liver; enlarged and congested spleen (Figure 1); and creamy or solid collection of material in the joints. Turkeys may have pneumonia with solidification of one or both lungs. The disease may be chronic, particularly in chickens.
  • Diagnosis: A tentative diagnosis may be made on flock history, clinical signs, and postmortem lesions. However, a definite diagnosis can be made only by bacterial culture and the isolation and identification of the organism.
  • Treatment: Although drugs may alter the course of a fowl cholera outbreak, affected birds remain carriers for life, and the disease has a tendency to recur when treatment is discontinued. This may require prolonged treatment with drugs in the feed or water. Antibiotics such as sulfadimethoxine, tetracyclines, erythromycin, or penicillin will usually decrease mortality in a flock. A less expensive alternative may be a complete depopulation of the affected flock followed by a thorough cleaning and disinfecting program and then restocking with birds known to be free of the disease.
  • Prevention and sanitation: Commercial vaccines are available to help control fowl cholera within a flock. However, vaccination is not recommended unless fowl cholera becomes a problem on a premise. Sanitation practices are the preferred method to prevent the disease. These practices include the following:
    • Completely depopulate each year with definite breaks between older birds and their replacements.
    • Properly dispose of mortality.
    • Ensure an effective rodent control program.
    • Clean and disinfect all houses and equipment after flock dispersal.
    • Allow contaminated locations or yards to remain empty for at least 3 months.
    • Keep birds confined and away from wild birds and animals.

View attachment 3122997
What is wrong with his eye? I called a couple of vets, they don't see birds. I did some research online and think maybe it's Coryza? Yesterday it was in the one eye and developed overnight. I cleaned it with antibacterial soap and put Neosporin on it. Today it looks about the same and the other eye is looking a little puffier than normal. Is there anything I can do for him? Other chickens seem okay. They are all about 8 weeks old, free range during the day and go into a pen at night. Do I need to keep him away from the others? They all like to huddle together in the bushes. Any insight would be appreciated.
Can you see the eye or get it open? Are there any bubbles or foam, or pus in the eye? Do you have mosquitoes out right now? What is your general location? I’m not sure what that is, but it might be from a sting, something like fowl pox, but it could be tumors. Is the other eye okay?

Fowl cholera is an acute infectious disease of chickens, turkeys, pheasants, pigeons, waterfowl, sparrows, and other wild, free-flying birds. A chronic form of the disease also exists and may occur following an acute outbreak. The causative organism for fowl cholera is Pasteurella multiocida, a gram negative bipolar bacterium. The organism is fairly hardy and can survive at least 1 month in droppings, 3 months in decaying carcasses, and 2–3 months in soil. Pasteurellaenters tissues of the mouth and upper respiratory tract and is not transmitted through the egg. The disease is seldom seen in chickens under 4 months of age but is commonly seen in turkeys at younger ages.

• Transmission can occur through secretions from carrier birds, infected droppings, or cannibalism of dead birds, as well as through contaminated feed, water, equipment, or clothing. Wild birds and animals such as raccoons, opossums, dogs, cats, pigs, and rodents may harbor the disease and serve as reservoirs of infection that actively spread the disease.
  • Clinical signs may be lacking in birds that die during peracute (very acute and very short duration; usually proving fatal) outbreaks. In the acute form, some birds may die without showing symptoms, but many others will be visibly ill before death. When present, signs may include sudden unexpected deaths in the flock, depression, decreased feed intake, stupor, cyanosis (bluish-purple discoloration of the head), lameness resulting from joint infection, swollen wattles (particularly in male birds), difficulty breathing, and green, watery diarrhea. Typical lesions may include pinpoint hemorrhages in the mucous and serous membranes and/or abdominal fat; inflammation of the upper third of the small intestine; light, firm “parboiled” appearance to the liver; enlarged and congested spleen (Figure 1); and creamy or solid collection of material in the joints. Turkeys may have pneumonia with solidification of one or both lungs. The disease may be chronic, particularly in chickens.
  • Diagnosis: A tentative diagnosis may be made on flock history, clinical signs, and postmortem lesions. However, a definite diagnosis can be made only by bacterial culture and the isolation and identification of the organism.
  • Treatment: Although drugs may alter the course of a fowl cholera outbreak, affected birds remain carriers for life, and the disease has a tendency to recur when treatment is discontinued. This may require prolonged treatment with drugs in the feed or water. Antibiotics such as sulfadimethoxine, tetracyclines, erythromycin, or penicillin will usually decrease mortality in a flock. A less expensive alternative may be a complete depopulation of the affected flock followed by a thorough cleaning and disinfecting program and then restocking with birds known to be free of the disease.
  • Prevention and sanitation: Commercial vaccines are available to help control fowl cholera within a flock. However, vaccination is not recommended unless fowl cholera becomes a problem on a premise. Sanitation practices are the preferred method to prevent the disease. These practices include the following:
    • Completely depopulate each year with definite breaks between older birds and their replacements.
    • Properly dispose of mortality.
    • Ensure an effective rodent control program.
    • Clean and disinfect all houses and equipment after flock dispersal.
    • Allow contaminated locations or yards to remain empty for at least 3 months.
    • Keep birds confined and away from wild birds and animals.
This is all copied-and-pasted information, and it's not very helpful. This bird is not showing clear symptoms of Fowl Cholera. His swelling is around his eye, not his comb and wattles. He doesn't have a purple head. He is showing ONE symptom and it's not one of FC. You jumped to a conclusion and posted a ton of directly plagiarized information without giving credit to the source. Perhaps don't make posts like this in the future? 🙂 Not trying to be rude, sorry if I seem like I am.

Can you see the eye or get it open? Are there any bubbles or foam, or pus in the eye? Do you have mosquitoes out right now? What is your general location? I’m not sure what that is, but it might be from a sting, something like fowl pox, but it could be tumors. Is the other eye okay?
I agree it looks a little fowl pox-y to me. These are all good things to know though, OP, if you can answer the questions.

Back
Top Bottom