What is wrong with me chicken? :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sgsf, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    This has literally put me to tears. I've had to much fun with my little "special". A rooster that never picked on anyone, but was always picked on and a very nice rooster. He always got special treatment.

Just recently his sister passed a week ago, which was a very sad event. She had something wrong with her neck when I found her, it was as if it snapped out of place. The night before she died, I noticed her having "neck spasms" - Where she would randomaly stick out here neck and move it around as if she couldn't control it. She felt really light, too - as if she wasn't eating.

And now my little rooster, and her brother. He never showed any signs of what she had. Now he's showing the same signs she was showing, and I don't think he's going to make it through the night. Please tell me what the hell is happening!

It's like his neck is bending out of shape. When I found his sister, it's like her whole neck was messed up and her chest. Why is this happening!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Not sure what this could be, Do your birds free range?

3. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:No, they do not. [​IMG] - They are in a coop, but it has quite a bit of space. I do have a "inner" coop to the main coop, where I can put any chickens for protection. And that's usually where my rooster would hang out. [​IMG]

Why does this happen to the nice ones? On cold days, he'd actually fly into my sweater hood. :'(

4. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Please, anyone? [​IMG]

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Try searching on 'wry neck' and read up on it. I don't know much about it but I believe it can be cured. I hope this helps.

6. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:I'm so sad right now [​IMG], my Rooster is out there helpess.

I've looked into Wry neck, but it just doesn't seem like that's whats wrong. His head/neck is strait, but it's like his neck is bending or something. I DON'T UNDERSTAND STAND?!?!?? And none of my family want's to cull him sense he's such a loved chicken. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by