What is wrong with my Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farm-gal91, Nov 10, 2012.

1. farm-gal91

farm-gal91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    So my Ameraucana pullet that I purchased from poultry hollow a few months ago. She looks healthy outwardly but something isn't right. She stands in a dazed trance. She will not roost. She walks, eats, drinks, and poos normal. What would cause a chicken to act so dazed and lethargic but have no outward signs of disease? She acts so confused sometimes and hardly ever moves from place to place but can otherwise walk fine. All other chickens are healthy.

2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Could always be mentally ill.... I don't know... So sorry. Wish I could help

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suggest you worm her.

4. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    Wormed and let her dust herself free of parasites. Still nothing. That was 3 weeks ago.

5. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    I'm starting to think something mental is going on. I wish someone had a clue this is so hard. I am a veterinary technician and all of her blood test come back normal. It's just plain weird!:(

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What did you worm her with?

7. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I have an EE that is acting very similar. I just think that's her mentality. She has been this way for weeks since she started to lay. Mine looks normal and does normal things, just is a little slow. I like it because my other chickens are scared to be picked up but she allows it.

8. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    sounds like mine. she hasn't begun to lay yet thought.

I have wormed her with various deworms (as they all do various types) I even went down to the cheapest, Wazine ( don't like the ingridients and its not a broad spectrum). I have used strongid, panacure. These are all in doses for chickens and other fowl that I have done for years. Never had any problems. Also, I have looked at fecal samples at work of her and she has no ova in her fecal samples, therefore worms do not seem to be the issue. Maybe a mental issue? I don't know. I'm to the point of frusterated since she is so "ADR" or what we call in the vet office "ain't doin right". Any other ideas?

9. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps she is in trauma of being moved.The last place she was at she was hatched,and she has been moved from her 'home'.

10. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is her. She does seem sort of hunched but she runs, walks, has not gait problems and no lesions anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by