What is wrong with my baby chick's eyes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haley Clark, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    My chick is a 2 week old barred rock and suddenly both her eyes look funny and her eyes are watery and little pieces of feathers get stuck around her eyes. They also look sort of milky colored and she doesn't open them all the way and she also sort of stays by her self a lot.ehat is wrong with get and ate their any cures? Thank you

2. Haley Clark

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    ***what is wrong with her and are there any cures***

3. RoosterMoose

RoosterMoose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    I would think about quarantining if it gets any worse. Almost sounds like distemper?? If chickens could even get something like that.

4. Haley Clark

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    What is distemper?? And I don't think it's contagious because she has been with the others for about a week like this and they don't have any of her symptoms. Thanks

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Distemper is a often fatal, contagious, incurable, viral disease that affects the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and central nervous systems. It mainly affects dogs, but can affect other mammals. I have never heard of it affecting chickens, but I am far from being an expert in chicken health.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd suggest posting on the emergency/disease/injuries board. You'll find more experience there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by