1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is wrong with my chick ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by donnie, Jan 26, 2010.

1. donnie

donnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    i bought 15 chicks about 2 wks ago now and these chicks are almost 1 month old now all of them are ok and were fine til yesterday i noticed this one like this , it has happened all of a sudden what is it and why , they are on 20% chick starter and all the other chicks i have had are and have been fine with this feed , anyone have any clues ? , she , well i say she since the tail sprouts are just now comeing in , anyway she can move her leg on her own and she can grasp with her feet as well ........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont know what it is called--"splay leg?" but you have to make a little thing to tie the legs together with enough room between so she can walk. Then the bad leg gets right and the chick is OK. Use a twist tie or string for this but dont make it too tight on her ankles. I think there is something (with pics) in the tutorials part of this site. Good luck! Terri O

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    What kind of bedding are you using?
    Here is a pic of how you would repair spraddle leg. You can use soft tape or a bandaid. This chick seems a little too old to have that tho. It could also be Mareks. Research that. Maybe someone else has an idea too. Good luck with that baby.

4. donnie

Dec 19, 2009
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    ok thanks guys , this is the first chick i have ever had do this

5. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Both Mereks and newcastlees disease can cause drooping wing or wings, paralasis, lethargy, ect... seems a little young for mereks thou . It just seems it develops after 6 mos or so. cant remember exactly.

One of the classic signs is the legs become stiff out to side or behind the chicken.

What breed are they?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. donnie

Dec 19, 2009
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    this chick is just a few days from being a month old, it is a ameraucana buff orp cross, it eats and drinks fine and poops fine as well , doesnt act sickly and is very active , i moved them from the rubber maid tub to the rabbit cage but the wire isnt small enough for their legs to get thru , but all 30+ chicks i have that are in different ages are all fine and have not done this

7. comedianchick

comedianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    it could be a slipped tendon also?!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by