What is wrong with my duck eggs?

Did you monitor the air cells while incubating to see if they were losing enough moisture? 50% is usually too high for most of us. Unless it’s really dry in your area (I would assume most of Florida is fairly humid, but I could be wrong). So I would try running the incubator without any water to start with, and monitor the air cells along the way.

My article on humidity may be helpful to you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

I would also bump the temp up to 99-100, as styrofoam incubators seem to fail to hold temp as well. Shifting the eggs around, as someone mentioned can also help with hot/cool spots.

Also have you tried disinfecting the incubator? Since your concern for bacteria is indicated, I’d research ways to disinfect it thoroughly. I would also wipe any dirt from the eggs, even a damp sponge is ok, just don’t wipe off too much of the bloom.

If you have the ability to hand turn the eggs, many folks find that duck eggs do better laying down instead of auto turners. So that would be something to consider, if you could.

I know it’s heartbreaking to lose the little cuties, but it’s always trial and error! You have to find what works for you, in your area, with your eggs. Please don’t give up hope!!

Your issue is your humidity and temp for these breeds… Cayuga needs a humidity of around 40% for the 1st 2 weeks slowly increasing to 60% for hatch… with a temp of around 36.5 (degrees Celsius) and slowly increasing to 37.5 (degrees Celsius) for hatch… I have hatched cayugas at a 100% hatch rate using this (granted I only had 3 Cayuga eggs and 12 muscovy eggs but all 3 Cayugas hatched… we won’t talk about the muscovy eggs I think there’s something wrong with my drake lol) … and looking at the photos you posted I would also give the eggs a wipe before incubation as the mud and muck on them could impact how much heat/moisture gets to the eggs … hope it helps

Your issue is your humidity and temp for these breeds… Cayuga needs a humidity of around 40% for the 1st 2 weeks slowly increasing to 60% for hatch… with a temp of around 36.5 (degrees Celsius) and slowly increasing to 37.5 (degrees Celsius) for hatch… I have hatched cayugas at a 100% hatch rate using this (granted I only had 3 Cayuga eggs and 12 muscovy eggs but all 3 Cayugas hatched… we won’t talk about the muscovy eggs I think there’s something wrong with my drake lol) … and looking at the photos you posted I would also give the eggs a wipe before incubation as the mud and muck on them could impact how much heat/moisture gets to the eggs … hope it helps
I’m happy that your setup worked for you, for the Cayugas, but unless they live next door to you, humidity ranges vary from location to location, so I don’t like to give exact humidity numbers for specific days.

Just my opinion, not trying to be argumentative. Folks have to dial in what works for them, which may not work for everyone. But I do think all methods and recommendations are worth exploring.

I’m happy that your setup worked for you, for the Cayugas, but unless they live next door to you, humidity ranges vary from location to location, so I don’t like to give exact humidity numbers for specific days.

Just my opinion, not trying to be argumentative. Folks have to dial in what works for them, which may not work for everyone. But I do think all methods and recommendations are worth exploring.
Oh completely… I tried a lot of different humidity and temp combinations before finding the perfect one… I probably should have added that I am in aust and my incubator was in my room which does have quite a number (4 at the time now 3) fish tanks that host tropical fish…

Back
Top Bottom