what is wrong with my egg and yoke?

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
so i was in the coop when my hen laid this egg. we have noticed a couple of soft shell eggs so we got some oyster shell. well i held this egg up to the light and couldn't really see the yoke very good so i opened it and this is what the yoke looked like!

20286_yoke.jpg

what is wrong with my hen?

20286_egg_shell.jpg

i have other chickens that lay eggs fine but there are a couple that lay the soft shell eggs. they are all new egg layers so i am not sure if this is normal or not what do you guys think?

Hi,

Soft shells are common with new layers, so I would just wait it out. As for the shape of the yolk, I never saw anything like it but it probably has to do with being laid by a new layer also. Good luck!
smile.png
Genie

I have never seen a yolk like that, but agree I am guessing that it has to do with them being new layers, since their bodies are still getting used to the laying process.
as for the soft shell eggs, especially in you just put out oyster shell combined with new layers, the soft shell thing will happen b/c they do not have enough calcium to form the hard shell, but it should definetly clear itself up soon if you keep everything they way it is now

Back
Top Bottom