What is wrong with my hens leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheeshshe, Sep 22, 2013.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009

I thought she broke her leg, but a month later (isolated for 3 weeks of the month bc the rooster really likes her) and she still doesn't want to put pressure on that foot/leg. She hasn't laid an egg in months, but I don't think I feel one in there. she is just 1 year old. she hasn't laid eggs since she went broody a few months ago. I think it was april or may that she tried hatching some eggs. no eggs since :(

I did have one of my 3 month chicks get coccidiosis a few weeks ago. Not sure if that helps any.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Gosh that is a long time to be resting her leg without healing. Is there any way you could take her to the vet for an xray? Have you given her vitamins while she has been isolated? I would try PolyVisol baby vitamins 2 drops daily. Many leg and foot problems are due to vitamin deficiencies. It is worth a try after such a long time.

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    Ok, I will try some vitamins, I didn't think of that. are those the ones with iron or without iron?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    PolyVisol without iron.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What a lovely silkie!

Also check the bottom of her foot for the telltale black scab of bumblefoot. Or note swelling if it is there.

6. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I did check for bumblefoot, but I don't see anything there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by