What is wrong with my pullet?????

Delso311

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
Hi all!
I cannot find a chicken vet near me and I have no idea what to do about this girl! She has scratched her ears and face raw about two weeks ago. I separated her from the flock and treated her with ear meds and eye meds for 3 days. She looked perfect. Then a day ago, I look at her and same thing only this is 10 times worse and she is on Tylan but I don’t know if I’m even treating her correctly. Does anyone know what this looks like??
CCD1430C-6ADC-4C3C-9438-FF4F07B8619F.jpeg
CCD1430C-6ADC-4C3C-9438-FF4F07B8619F.jpeg

Attachments

• BC14917D-DE84-4412-9449-293B5EB4F1D6.jpeg
    BC14917D-DE84-4412-9449-293B5EB4F1D6.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 4
Additional information pertaining to the hen would be helpful.

What is she being fed? How long has she been feeling ill? Did you apply anything to her face, or is that discharge from her nares, eyes, mouth, etc? What kind of "medicine" have you been using on her ears, and eyes? Is she exhibiting any respiratory-related signs, such as sneezing, rattled breathing, coughing? Is she eating and drinking well? Have you checked inside her mouth, for any lesions or plaque deposits?

What Tylan are you using, how, and at what dose? Have you checked her over for mites or lice?

Her ear looks irritated, could you try parting the feathers around the area, and checking inside the ear for any yellow discharge?

Additional information pertaining to the hen would be helpful.

What is she being fed? How long has she been feeling ill? Did you apply anything to her face, or is that discharge from her nares, eyes, mouth, etc? What kind of "medicine" have you been using on her ears, and eyes? Is she exhibiting any respiratory-related signs, such as sneezing, rattled breathing, coughing? Is she eating and drinking well? Have you checked inside her mouth, for any lesions or plaque deposits?

What Tylan are you using, how, and at what dose? Have you checked her over for mites or lice?

Her ear looks irritated, could you try parting the feathers around the area, and checking inside the ear for any yellow discharge?
She is eating scratch n peck grower feed. She doesn’t have mites or lice. I’ve been using terramycin Opth ointment for her eyes, Pattotic for her ears and neosporin for her face. There are no respiratory issues at all. There is a thick white cheesy substance that I can get out of her ears sometimes which is what happened the first time, two weeks ago.
I bought tylan from a vet. It’s the water soluble one. It’s dosed for chickens 2 tsp per gallon of water. Both ears are extremely irritated and swollen around the outside. No facial swelling. No lesions in the mouth. She originally was eating well but I’m not so sure she is anymore.

She is eating scratch n peck grower feed. She doesn’t have mites or lice. I’ve been using terramycin Opth ointment for her eyes, Pattotic for her ears and neosporin for her face. There are no respiratory issues at all. There is a thick white cheesy substance that I can get out of her ears sometimes which is what happened the first time, two weeks ago.
I bought tylan from a vet. It’s the water soluble one. It’s dosed for chickens 2 tsp per gallon of water. Both ears are extremely irritated and swollen around the outside. No facial swelling. No lesions in the mouth. She originally was eating well but I’m not so sure she is anymore.

If she is scratching her ears often, there is yellow gunk inside, and there is noticeable swelling, and redness, odds are she has an ear infection (ear canker).

If you can take her to a vet, that would be good, so they can do some C&S on the ear to identify if it's fungal, or bacterial related, and determine which antibiotic/antifungal would be most helpful via sensitivity test. If a vet is not an option, I would try gently cleaning her ear out with a cotton swab soaked in iodine, or hydrogen peroxide. Be sure not to further push the gunk inside the ear as that may cause more damage and irritation.

I would also consider starting her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Baytril. The tylan is not going to do much for an ear infection.

Here is some info on ear infections:

https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/02/24/ear-infections-in-chickens/
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Back
Top Bottom