What is wrong with my rooster!?

Koliver2022

Hatching
Jul 13, 2022
Something is wrong with my rooster 😢
I am treating for mites/lice right now and those dang bugs are so hard to get rid of.
I’m not sure that is the issue.
His tail is down and he just stands there and then will just lay down and watch the ladies. He does still peck around and I saw him mate this morning.
Any advice? It’s been going on for a couple days. He won’t let me near him to investigate…even at night.

Would treating him with vetrx work or do I need to get something different?
Also..his feathers are falling out all over the place and he’s been shaking his tail a lot and excessively grooming all over his body.

Attachments

• 727CD37A-ABA0-412F-8975-1581D2CBB910.jpeg
    727CD37A-ABA0-412F-8975-1581D2CBB910.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 20
Assuming you're treating for mites/lice as you've found them on him? What are you treating with? IF he has it, the rest may also, have you checked them?

The excessive grooming could be due to mites/lice, as would the feather lose. However he could be molting also. How old is he? Where are you located? What are you feeding? How are you treating for mites/lice?

Aside from treating the flock, the coop and bedding all should be changed. You can't do it once, as eggs hatch so it's recommenced retreat in 7 - 10days.

Assuming you're treating for mites/lice as you've found them on him? What are you treating with? IF he has it, the rest may also, have you checked them?

The excessive grooming could be due to mites/lice, as would the feather lose. However he could be molting also. How old is he? Where are you located? What are you feeding? How are you treating for mites/lice?

Aside from treating the flock, the coop and bedding all should be changed. You can't do it once, as eggs hatch so it's recommenced retreat in 7 - 10days.
I haven’t had a chance to check him because he’s so hard to get ahold of even at night time. But I’ve checked some of my hens and they don’t seem to have them.
He is around 2 years old. I’ve never whitenesses a molt yet as I’ve only been a chicken mom for a little over a year. I am in Southeast Missouri and it’s been unbearably hot but the last few days have been pretty nice and cool.
I’m treating it with poultry spray that has Permethrin in it. I cannot afford the elector psp right now. I have removed all bedding and treated the coop as well. Waiting until the spray has a chance to work before I put bedding back down.
They did have mites/lice back in March.
I am feeding all flock pellets. I did just accidentally buy pellets instead of crumbles and I’m not sure if that could make a difference to him or not.

Something is wrong with my rooster 😢
I am treating for mites/lice right now and those dang bugs are so hard to get rid of.
I’m not sure that is the issue.
His tail is down and he just stands there and then will just lay down and watch the ladies. He does still peck around and I saw him mate this morning.
Any advice? It’s been going on for a couple days. He won’t let me near him to investigate…even at night.

Would treating him with vetrx work or do I need to get something different?
Also..his feathers are falling out all over the place and he’s been shaking his tail a lot and excessively grooming all over his body.

Back
Top Bottom