What is Wrong with my Roosters?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I have 2 rooster that have watery eyes (both eyes) - but no other symptoms. One has very slightly swollen eye on one side - but you can hardly notice it. The 'tears' often run down their faces and it looks like they are crying.

The first one to get it I treated with vitamin B12 in the water for a week.
The following week I treated with antibiotic in the food and water and an injection from the vet.
This week they are getting apple cider vinegar in the water.

There has been NO change in the eyes in nearly one month - no better and no worse.

They have no other signs of sickness at all. They crowing, lively, eating, mating and showing off. They don't scratch at the eyes or anything, and their breathing in perfect with no noises or coughs. The eye itself looks normal - no discharge or redness.

I have run out of ideas what to do next.........any advice?

(they are no isolated and I don't think its contagious as none of the other roosters or chickens have caught it all this time).

Please does anyone have any ideas. If they don't improve this week I am going to have to cull them and I really don't want to do that.

I just hate seeing them like that and worry they will get worse and spread this thing to my other chickens.

That's what I thought. I looked up photos of all the eye and respiratory diseases on the net, but they all look bad.

Mine only have watery eyes and nothing else. maybe they are just crying lol.

It was strange why it did not clear up with all the medicines, and injection also. And its both eyes, so its not a wound.

If they are no better by the end of the week I will have to decide if I want to keep them. Its a shame as I am very attached to one of them, he is so friendly and loves being petted too - and lovely colours.

I have a rooster that has a very cloudy eye. He can barely see out of it. I noticed it when he was about 6 months old. He is almost 2 years old now! His eyes haven't ever been watery like your roosters and whatever it is probably isn't the same but, my point is, that as long as they are behaving normally and can see fairly well, I wouldn't worry to much unless they start showing other symptoms. As you said, it would be a shame to get rid of them (especially if whatever is wrong with thier eyes is minor) You could always take them to a vet if they get worse. Good luck!!!!!

Thanks. I tried the vet for the medicine and injection, but that had no effect - so waste of money as usual.

I am going to buy some human eye drops to see if they will help if they have a bacterial infection in the eyes.

Because they're otherwise healthy, active, normal I'd think you could dely culling them. I like the eye ointment trial. I also wonder about aspirin as an antiinflammatory? Dose I've read is 55 mg (European thread). I keep PenicillinG on hand now, available at TSC, to ensure exact dosing vs abx in water. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom