1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with Pebbles' feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VT Chick-lit, Sep 18, 2008.

1. VT Chick-lit

VT Chick-lit Out Of The Brooder

I got Pebbles and her hatchmate Roxy in May. At that time they were 2 years old. I was told both girls had laid eggs all winter but this spring Pebbles had stopped laying for some unknown reason. She was not laying at the time I got her.

[​IMG]

I noticed early on that she had quite a few broken feathers at the base of her tail and she had a bald spot on her breast of about 2 inches in diameter. I dusted her for mites (didn't see any on her but did it just in case). This does not seem to be the problem.

[​IMG]

She still has the broken feathers at the base of her tail and her "fluffy butt" is definitely less fluffy.

[​IMG]

She is looking kind of rough around the edges. If she was human I would say she was having a bad hair day! Could she be moulting for this long a time? (Still no eggs.) If not, what other things could cause this? If this is an exceptionally long moult, how do I speed things up? I have no rooster, does this matter?

[​IMG]
    I do have pictures that I am trying to figure out how to attach to this post.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    It might just take her longer being she is older, not sure. I think molt can last up to 6 weeks or longer.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    When birds molt (sp) you can give them some extra protein to help it along. Feather loss can also be a sign of not enough protein in the diet.
    Maybe you could just give her a little extra protein each day and a small amt of bird vitamins and plenty of fresh water and that might help. [​IMG]

eta: I see the pictures now. Well she looks pretty healthy and well fed to me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by