what is wrong with people-----selling puppies....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by klf73, May 18, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was just skimming the local for sale book. MUTTS are listed at $400!!!!!! A pug that got bred by a daschund! I love it that people pay so much for mutts....I would laugh when people bought *designer* dogs at the pet store I worked at when they could have got the same thing in the paper for free! I will never understand...... [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Tack on odd name on anything and it sells for more.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yep, just found a shorkie for $500 (shih-tzu/yorkie) [​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    You know, I saw some Dorkies (Doxie and Yorkie mix) in the paper yesterday for $500. Wow! I can't imagine what they will look like grown.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Quote:and tack on "OODLE" and you can add ANOTHER $200!!! Doodle, schnoodle, chihoodle, noodle.... whatevever... people will think it doesn't shed and is all the rage in designer dog fashion.. [​IMG]

6. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    A lot of "Doodles" go for over $1000....if not over $2000....... I will hopefully be getting a purebred puppy of a rare breed (spinone italiano) from top champion lines for $2000....I had glanced at a couple doodles before making that decision and the breeders I even slightly considered were selling them for over $2000....................

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    but I bet if you were the ones selling those pups for that money you would think its pretty great !! I think if a person is willing to pay whatever the asking price of anything,then its not to much for that person..one lady asked me if 2000 was to much for a 20 year old horse..for her daughter that was a very timid girl..I asked her what price was her kid worth and left it at that..everyone else told her she was crazy to pay that..she bought the horse for 2000,the kid learned to ride on a safe and sane horse ..so everyone was happy..and no terrified kid or emergency room bills in the end.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The 'something wrong' is the buyer not the seller......

9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You're right. It's whatever the market will bear. My friend bought a Porkie the other day. It's a teacup Pom and a teacup Yorkie crossed. Now, the pup is just as cute as it can be if you like that sort of thing (I'm a BIG dog girl myself) but this woman paid 500 bucks for this puppy! In this economy? Sometimes I wonder if the human race is worth saving.

10. PattiXmas

PattiXmas Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    It is quite disgusting but unfortunately as long as there are people out there willing to pay for them, it will continue. The other thing that annoys me is people that breed their dogs and then when the grump is in labor, they post and ask for help or advise instead of taking her immediately to a vet. It seems like all people see when it comes to a litter of pups is dollar signs. Also, just because you have a cute "purebred, registered" dog, doesn't mean it is a good candidate for breeding....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by