What is wrong with their back?

allywaddle

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2018
My Plymouth Barred rock hens have something wrong with their back. I’ve never had chickens before and I’m trying to figure out if they are just molting, being beaten up by the other hens or something else? I figured I would see if anyone else recognized this and had some advice before i called in a vet. It’s been a really wet/cold winter... we keep their coop clean and as dry as possible and I put some diatomaceous earth down recently in their normal dirt bath spot. but that’s the only current change.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• ACDF4C52-7D2B-4B74-838A-603BD0D308BD.jpeg
    ACDF4C52-7D2B-4B74-838A-603BD0D308BD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 1D1E8F92-4AAF-4DB8-A8BC-BB66BA1B3403.jpeg
    1D1E8F92-4AAF-4DB8-A8BC-BB66BA1B3403.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • A2BD6DF0-4F0D-4252-A85F-1666DE60BD7B.jpeg
    A2BD6DF0-4F0D-4252-A85F-1666DE60BD7B.jpeg
    891.4 KB · Views: 12
:welcome I see at least two very large roosters. That's probably one too many. It's 'rooster damage' from mating most likely coupled with some feather plucking.
Thank you for your response! So if I got rid of one of the roosters that would help right? And how can I help her heal? I was told to buy pruning sealer but I wanted to make sure before I put it on her.

Not need for a vet. Barred Rock roosters are known for being aggressive. I would take the roosters out of the flock and put them in isolation, although not together if you can avoid it. Honestly, the only way to deal with that is to cull them. I can give you more advice on that if you wish. As to the injured hens, if there is any blood or raw, red areas, treat these by applying blu-kote, which is available at your local farm supply store. It helps heal the area, and it's dark color discourages the chickens from continuing to pick. If a chicken sees blood, it will continue to attack the injured hen, sometimes to death. Make sure you monitor them and take out the injured hens if it gets worse. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

As others have said, this is mating damage. How many hens do you have and do you have any particular need for any rooster let alone two? In other words, do you plan to hatch chicks?
Surplus roosters can be butchered and eaten or given away or if you are a good sales person you might even be able to sell them, but don't hold your breath OR they can be kept in a bachelor pad away from the girls. Since they are not fighting now, there is a good chance they will get along together without hens. I'm guessing that these are actually cockerels ie males under a year old and currently having a surge of hormones. Mature males will not usually do that to hens/pullets, because they have learned the technique of courtship and mating whereas young males are much rougher and less well balanced. You sometimes find that the hens/pullets have gashes under their wings as well, that you cannot see unless you physically check them.

As others have said, this is mating damage. How many hens do you have and do you have any particular need for any rooster let alone two? In other words, do you plan to hatch chicks?
Surplus roosters can be butchered and eaten or given away or if you are a good sales person you might even be able to sell them, but don't hold your breath OR they can be kept in a bachelor pad away from the girls. Since they are not fighting now, there is a good chance they will get along together without hens. I'm guessing that these are actually cockerels ie males under a year old and currently having a surge of hormones. Mature males will not usually do that to hens/pullets, because they have learned the technique of courtship and mating whereas young males are much rougher and less well balanced. You sometimes find that the hens/pullets have gashes under their wings as well, that you cannot see unless you physically check them.
We actually had 3 roosters to start with got rid of one because I thought there was only 2 turns out I had 2 left. We did want to try to hatch eggs eventually. But I don’t have a need for 2 just haven’t found him a home yet. They will be a 1yr old in April. So it looks like I will need to find one of them a home.

Not need for a vet. Barred Rock roosters are known for being aggressive. I would take the roosters out of the flock and put them in isolation, although not together if you can avoid it. Honestly, the only way to deal with that is to cull them. I can give you more advice on that if you wish. As to the injured hens, if there is any blood or raw, red areas, treat these by applying blu-kote, which is available at your local farm supply store. It helps heal the area, and it's dark color discourages the chickens from continuing to pick. If a chicken sees blood, it will continue to attack the injured hen, sometimes to death. Make sure you monitor them and take out the injured hens if it gets worse. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!
I will get that stuff! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom