WHAT?? is wrong with this baby chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Orpstralope, May 17, 2010.

1. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    I think this chick is in the batch with my 5.5 wk. olds and it is supposed to be a Golden Laced Wyandotte. What is wrong with he/she? Below is a picture of another bird that's at the same stage (same breed):

In the bottom right corner:
    [​IMG]

Close-Ups:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The similar bird:
    [​IMG]

What's wrong with me? Why do my wings look backwards?

2. Is it getting pecked? It also looks like it may be a rooster but that does not account for the lack of feather. Does it show any sign of illness? If not, be patient. May just be slow at growing feathers. [​IMG]

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It is indeed a boy and yes the roosters are generally slower in getting their feathers then pullets.

4. Orpstralope

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    I think it's got to be a slow grower - very strange indeed, never seen anything like it.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Songster

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Have you checked him for parasites? He sure looks mighty red under his tail.

6. Is it possible it has mites?

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

how is he with the rest of the flock? he looks like he's gonna be one handsome fella![​IMG]

8. Orpstralope

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    No mites - I use DE, which isn't necessarily "good" for young ones but I've never had any problems in the past two years. However, he does get picked on a lot. I know that is just usual behavior but its pretty intense to be this little fella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by