1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with this ducks bill? How can I help him?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rockulius, Oct 10, 2015.

1. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA

I really, really would not recommend applying an antifungal you pick up from a drugstore, especially in light of the fact that you said this started when he cut his bill on a piece of glass.

Kathy, there are other things I'm thinking of here, but would you mind saying what you think in light of what the OP said? It's so hard to say in these situations when you can't see something in person, but I'm very hesitant to apply a random antifungal to a duck based on a pic. I'm thinking a very arid environment could be a big part of the extreme shedding and that the cut from the glass more likely introduced something bacterial?

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    That's good news... Here's how I see it... If you have $100 or more to spare, take him to a vet, but if money is tight, like it is for me, I say keep a close eye on him, keep it clean and see if it gets better on it's own. Of course if it starts to get worse, or if he starts looking off, take him to a vet. [​IMG]

-kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    @rockulius , if you press on it, does any fluid ooze out? Is there a bad odor to it?

-Kathy

5. rockulius

rockulius Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2015
    @casportpony No, there is no fluid that oozes. We may try manuka oil, it's an all natural anti fungal. Also this suggestion: "very carefully clean the bill with something like Vetericyn Wound Wash and apply a thin coat of Neosporin without pain reliever"
    I'll keep the thread updated with his progress. Thanks for your comments.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    @rockulius , if you can, get a baseline weight on him, then weigh him every few days. Any weight loss might be a sign that there is something more serious going on.

-Kathy

Edited to add the word loss

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    That sounds like a reasonable plan.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    @rockulius , do you know what poultry pus looks like? If not, would you like me to post some pictures of it here?

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    I think you're right.... if it is infection it seems more likely that it would be bacterial.

-Kathy

10. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    LOL. Yes, dear Kathy, I know how much you love drugs (in the right circumstances, and meaning in treating poultry, so let's clarify that). [​IMG]

No assisted peeling or scraping or brushing, don't you think? I'm okay with it if you think otherwise. A vet would scrape it a bit to culture it, but peeling or scraping just to "help" could open it to more infection, right? (Or not right? Okay if you say you think not right. I've always been in the 'don't "assist" peeling or shedding' mindset.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by