What is you favorite breed of chickens?

Brady bunch

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
NY
So I was wondering what any of your favorite chicken breeds are because I am researching different kinds of chickens that I may raise in the future and I would love to know what kind of chickens are some of your favorites.:D:jumpy:pop

Chanteclers and Leghorns. The Chanteclers are cold hardy, good winter layers, healthy, meaty, and absolutely gorgeous. Leghorns are an ideal free-range breed. They aren't as good for meat, but as layers, they can't be beaten; I get an egg a day through even bitterly cold weather. Some complain about their temperaments, but I find them to be quite friendly if raised by one person from hatch. They are vigorous birds, which may make them unsuitable for a cramped coop and run setup. I would highly recommend them if you free range your flock and value egg production.

Chanteclers and Leghorns. The Chanteclers are cold hardy, good winter layers, healthy, meaty, and absolutely gorgeous. Leghorns are an ideal free-range breed. They aren't as good for meat, but as layers, they can't be beaten; I get an egg a day through even bitterly cold weather. Some complain about their temperaments, but I find them to be quite friendly if raised by one person from hatch. They are vigorous birds, which may make them unsuitable for a cramped coop and run setup. I would highly recommend them if you free range your flock and value egg production.
That sounds like a very good breed of chicken because we like our chickens to free range and we want to get eggs!:D:jumpy

That sounds like a very good breed of chicken because we like our chickens to free range and we want to get eggs!:D:jumpy
Perfect. I would give them a try, then. They also are good in both hot and cold weather, despite some saying they aren't cold hardy. Yes, many varieties have large combs, but that's not what makes a cold hardy bird, it's only a part of it. My Leghorns venture outside even when it's below zero and even the Chanteclers would rather stay on the roosts.

Perfect. I would give them a try, then. They also are good in both hot and cold weather, despite some saying they aren't cold hardy. Yes, many varieties have large combs, but that's not what makes a cold hardy bird, it's only a part of it. My Leghorns venture outside even when it's below zero and even the Chanteclers would rather stay on the roosts.
Do leghorns mind to be with different chickens of difference breeds?

I love my barred rock and speckled Sussex. They both lay a good sized egg nearly every day. They are good forages, but love attention too. They are a good mix of independent and character. Plus they are both good size, so I am hoping for good dul purpose offspring.

This year I added several new types but they are too young to tell yet.

Back
Top Bottom