What is your dream farm? (As in like your dream flock/land/other animals/everything dreamy)

I'd need a TON of land for what I dream of (and enough folks to work on the farm to help). Let's see.

For the buildings and infrastructure

* My house (2-3 bedroom so I can house my office there), next to it a Japanese garden with swim pond and a small building to house my grandparents when they need more care.

* Root cellars (with a kitchen attached (see Revonia cellars for what I mean)

* A barn that has been remodeled into a farm store and café (cheap drinks and light snacks). This would also house the small bakery and meat shop plus cheese room.

* Attached to the store barn is another barn (so both together form an L) that is remodeled into a polyvalent room where I can hold workshops and readings, that room has a view (can be closed off) into the milk parlour.

* Parallel to the store barn, but behind it is the garage shed where I keep the larger tools and machinery (tractor, small combine harvester, pulling carts...) and where there is room for repairs.

* Then there'd be different barns for animals. I'd have a barn for cattle. Two for goats, plus two lean-tos for the bucks. A barn for sheep plus lean-tos on pasture. A couple of sheds for pigs. A stable for horses.

* Coops with runs for clan breeding chickens, coops for ducks, coops for geese, coops for egg laying chickens (for sale not for breeding).

* Aviaries for quail, pheasant and partridge. Maybe a coop for guinea fowl. (kept away from the other poultry off course for health purposes).

* A rabbitry for colony setting.

* A couple of greenhouses.

* I'd have a small lumber yard, next to that a woodshop, a blacksmith shop and a pottery.

* Preferably I'd have some mobile abbatoirs (one for poultry, one for cattle/pigs and one for sheep/goats) that can be rented out to other farms. Obviously it'd be difficult to get them certified in my country to allow processing of animals for sale, but in my ideal world that is an option.
* In addition to that there'd be a small tannery on site.

* A barn that is used solely for medical purposes where a vet can come to treat animals and where animals can be quarantined if necessary.

* A couple of bee stalls for their hives plus a shed that is used to harvest the products and process them.

* The storage sheds for the produce. There'd be one where we keep the fruit and attached to that is a cider brewery (along with equipment to make apple cider vinegar and fruit juices). A granary with a mill attached. A processing shed for the orders of fruit and vegetables and eggs etc.

* I'd also have a fiber mill.

* Mews for hawks and falcons I'd fly to keep birds of my orchards and for hunting.

* I'd also have an aquaponics shed where I grow fish and rice.

* And a mobile milk parlour to milk the sheep on pasture (cows in the milk parlour that can be seen and goats in a separate parlour in their barn)

* There'd be enough land to place some tiny houses on there to house my paid laborers for free (only pay for what you use in utilities)

Land use:

* There'd be tons of pasture because I'd want to pasture raise all my animals and give my poultry the option to free range (in a controlled manner). Enough room for rotational grazing and to grow enough hay and straw.

* Pastures for grain and corn as well.

* I'd have a pretty large park/food forest with some playground structures for kids, a sensory garden for dogs and an open spot in the middle with ponds for my ducks and geese.

* There'd also be a forest for lumber and nuts (pecan, walnut, hazelnut, hickory..), where some of the pigs can also be put out.

* A couple of orchards (apples, nectarines, pears, cherries, peaches) My climate is too cold for citrus so I'd have to forgo that unless I can raise them in greenhouse type settings)

* There'd be some heathland and meadows for the bees and wildlife. Some ponds there as well (probably for the geese)

* There'd be fish ponds and some working wells.

* And off course there'd be vegetable and herb gardens (some in ground, especially the ones used for animal feed, and some in raised beds)

Now for the animals I'd like to keep, preferably I'd be able to keep enough of each breed to sustainably keep my production running):

* Chickens for meat and eggs: White Leghorn, Sussex, Barred Plymouth Rock, Black Copper Maran, Buff Orpington, Australorp, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Salmon Faverolles, Deathlayer, Cream Legbar, Silverrund Blue (or Isbar as it's also known), Bielefelder, Barnevelder, Penedesenca, Braekel, Campine, Vorwerk, Lakenvelder, Easter Egger.

* Ducks for meat and eggs: Aylesbury, Silver Appleyard, Buff Orpington, Saxony, Swedish Blue, Magpie, Cayuga, Eend van Vorst (one of my country's heritage breeds and endangered)

* Geese for meat, eggs and down: Embden, Pilgrim, Flemish goose, Brecon Buff, Roman (the non-tufted version).

* Pheasants for meat: Ring-necked Pheasant and SIlver Pheasant

* Quail for meat and eggs: African Harlequin, Chinese, Japanese, Bobwhite

* Partridges for meat: Bamboo partridge and Gray partridge

* Guinea fowl for meat if I have enough space so they have less chance of running into free range chickens.

* My predator birds: Peregrine falcon, Goshawk, Red-Tailed hawk, Harris Hawk

* Rabbits for meat and fur: Champagne d'Argent, Belgian Hare, Harlequin, Belgian Beveren. I'd have large hutches for the bucks with their own runs and a indoor/outdoor colony setting for the does and their kits. The kits would be separated when sexed and put into different pens (one for bucks, one for does) until processing.
* Rabbits I'd keep as pets: Holland Lop, Dwarf Hotot,

* Goats (preferably smaller sized versions of the standard breeds by crossing with Nigerian dwarf bucks. I'd keep one herd of pure Nigerian, then a herd of the sweeter breeds, then a herd of the swiss style breeds, meat and fiber goats are also in separate herds) for dairy: Niger Dwarf, Nubian, Toggenburg, Oberhalsi, Alpine (British one); Golden Guernsey, Saanen, Sable.
* Goats for meat: Kinder
* Goats for fiber: Pygora and Nigora

* Pigs for meat and lard: Kunekune, Berkshire, Tamworth, optional Hampshire.
I'd keep two females and one male plus one whether for each breed. All pasture raised.

* Cattle for dairy and meat (also the smaller sized versions): Jersey, Belted Galloway, Belfair/Belmont, optional Dexters.
I'd keep 10 cows for dairy (Jersey) and about 4 Galloways for meat specifically. I'd cross the Jerseys with the Dexter for a good dual purpose breed (Belfair) that leans towards dairy production. Breeding for pure Jerseys would be done through AI, for the crosses with a Dexter bull. Galloway I'm on the fence between AI or a bull on the property.

* Sheep for meat and fiber: Mini Cheviot and Black Welsh Mountain sheep. 15 females of each with a ram for breeding.
* Sheep for meat, fiber and milk: Icelandics. I'd keep a herd of 30 females with a ram.

* Horses for milk, riding and draft work: I'd love to have a couple of Icelandic horses. Other breeds I'm interested in for draft work are the Fjord, Haflinger and Finnhorse.

* Mini donkey's to keep the meat sheep company mostly and because they are cute. Probably 2 jennies and 1 jack.

* Fish for the fish streams and ponds: Trout (brook, rainbow, brown), Salmon (probably Atlantic or Pink), Crucian Carp, Bass, Bream, Perch

* Fish for aquaponics: Tilapia, Sunfish, Shrimp (grey and pink)

* Bees: Honey bees, not sure yet on which species.

* Insects (for feeding animals and vermicompost: Tiger worms, Mealworms, Crickets, Waxworms...

* Barn cats

* Dogs for guarding: Old German Shepherd, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Belgian Malinois
* Dogs for company: Toller, Northern Inuit Dog
* Dogs for herding: Australian Shepherd, Australian Cattle Dog
* Dogs for hunting: German Shorthaired Pointer, French Brittany, Welsh Springer Spaniel, Viszla (Tollers are also gun dogs so they could be here as well)
* Dogs for livestock guarding: Maremma, Kuvasz

Back
Top Bottom