What is your Experenice with Golden 300 ducks????

pirtykitty

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
I called Metzer today to get information on their ducks.. They suggested the Golden 300 ducks ... They are a hybrid so if i were to get a pair of them or trio they wouldn't breed true right??? I did also find out that they have both the gold and silver phases of the welsh harlequins.. their other suggestions for back yard in town ducks were rouen, cayuga, and blue swedish ducks..

they also said their welsh harlequins were calm. Hmmm.

Oh, I had some of these!! You are right, you shouldn't get them if you are interested in breeding, because they don't breed true to type. When we got ours, we just wanted ducks to lay eggs. They were wonderful layers! We consistently got an egg a day from each of our females. They were very lovely, but in my opinion a little skittish (but then I've never had other ducks). We spent a lot of time trying to bond with them, and they never were super friendly. But then did imprint on our voice and would come up to the windows quacking when they heard us talking inside! LOL. Anyway, that basically sums up my experience. I am just happy I had some to share (A rarity on this site. LOL)

Thank you cic_ip, I wasn't too happy that they don't breed true.. I like the fact that they are good layers.. but if I got a trio( two females and a male) and they hatched some I'd end up with mutts. or maybe a mixture of what breeds they used to develop them. I 'm glad to get some information on them...

y not khakis? great layers and friendly...only loud if laying, or free ranging and lose sight of each other...

"Campbells exceed most chicken breeds in egg production, with some strains averaging 300 eggs per year. They do not require special care or artificial lighting to produce a large number of eggs, which are white and weight about 2.5 ounces (not much larger than a Leghorn egg). Campbells are extremely hardy, are excellent foragers, and are at home on land as well as in water. They eat large quantities of slugs, snails, insects, algae, and mosquitos from ponds, but do not require swimming water to stay healthy."

plus they are cute!
wink.png

If you are interested in egg laying ducks but want some you can breed, check out welsh harlequins. they are gorgeous and another high laying breed. Khaki Cambells and Runners are supposed to have high eggs production as well, but when we did research everything I read said they were more skittish. After looking on this site, though, I am almost wishing we had ordered runners this year (we went with pekins, for their more friendly nature) because apparently while they are skittish, they can also get quite bonded to people.

I really want welsh harlequins.. but am afraid of how loud they might get.. I can only get may mbe 4 or 6 to start.. I may just get 1 pr of welsh harlequins , a couple rouens, and a couple cayugas..
That way I can see how each one is and also have eggs through out the year.. and maybe add to flock in spring with a few babies..
I want to add the anconas and dutch hookbills too but may have to wait as metzer doesnt offer them yet.. and hubby won't let me order 10 ducklings.

I am also batting around ordering eggs from different members and hatching the others I would like.. I'll just have to work my way up as hubby lets me.. It's better to start out small..
We live in town so I can't go bonkers.. LOL

I think khakis are very friendly... I think it's more about how you raise them...mine were not skittish at all and would rush me for treats...i carried them around all the time and they would try to follow us into the house...
If you have an incubator you should get some eggs from bycers and just hatch them out yourself...then they will look up out of the bator and peep "mommy?"
wink.png

I also wanted welsh harlequins... They're so beautiful! I got Silver Appleyards, and they make almost no noise (unless I try to catch them... Then they quack up a storm). They're very fat! Cayugas are a good breed, but they usually lay eggs with a black film on them, which might be unappealing; although it can be scrubbed off, scrubbing gets rid of the 'bloom' layer that helps keep germs out. Mine are virtually silent, except for contented little squeaky things.

Buff ducks are calm, but if she wants to quack she will QUACK!

Rouens are more of a meat breed, but I don't have any so don't quote me lol.

My Khaki Campbell has layed one egg a day for like six week straight now - even through freezing temperatures and lots of snow! She's never missed a day so far.
smile.png

She's pretty quiet too, and LOVES to put a dent in the local bug population!

Ducks are better than TV...
But geese will mow your lawn for you!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom