What is your favorite breed of dog? & why?

Pics

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
I know BYC is crawling with dog people, dog lovers, dog breeders, hunters, show people and folks who think dogs make their life complete.

My favorite breed is Cocker Spaniels. My mother wouldn't allow any other breeds. I was showing them (badly) as a 12 year old. At 20 I bought the 3 dogs that would be my first champions and breeding stock. My last dogs made it to 14,14,14.5 ( as retired oldies & house dogs.) I haven't had a cocker or any dog since. Just hurt to much to lose them so close together.

I comfort myself my loving on the neighbors dogs and going into Pet's Smart to meet others.

Would love to know what breeds people are enjoying the most, and what they love about them.

My favourite breed is the labrador retriever,

We had one in the past and we have one now. The past one was extremely gentle with our previous chickens and she always followed them around when they free ranged as if she was keeping watch...
smile.png
Our current lab is still a puppy and a little too energetic to be with the chickens but she has an amazing personality all the same.

They are friendly, sociable, and make wonderful family dogs.

GSDs - I had two. I found their intelligence more than made up for my ignorance, when it came to training
tongue.png
Their ability to recognise a threat, and ignore everything else was amazing. I'd love to have one again, but I've not got a spare $600
sad.png

Isn't that the truth Chris ? The price for dogs is out of reach here (Chicago suburb) everyone and their brother wants $ 1000 for most purebred(?) pups. My friend lost his Shar pei and found the only pups available were $ 3,000. - Shar Pei have their share of health problems but even for that price no health guarantees. No he didn't buy one.

When pups of LSGD where advertised on BYC (anything else for sale) they wanted a fortune and hefty deposits (non returnable) for puppies a couple weeks old. Even a top breeder couldn't tell which ones would be best prospect at that age. BUT, before they breed they are figuring out how much $$$$ they can get away with.

Out here shelter/rescue dogs are $ 200-400- no wonder so many dogs get put down - people can't afford the money and then the vet bills that will come along for the rest of the dogs life.

Last edited:
Isn't that the truth Chris ? The price for dogs is out of reach here (Chicago suburb) everyone and their brother wants $ 1000 for most purebred(?) pups. My friend lost his Shar pei and found the only pups available were $ 3,000. - Shar Pei have their share of health problems but even for that price no health guarantees. No he didn't buy one.

When pups of LSGD where advertised on BYC (anything else for sale) they wanted a fortune and hefty deposits (non returnable) for puppies a couple weeks old. Even a top breeder couldn't tell which ones would be best prospect at that age. BUT, before they breed they are figuring out how much $$$$ they can get away with.

Out here shelter/rescue dogs are $ 200-400- no wonder so many dogs get put down - people can't afford the money and then the vet bills that will come along for the rest of the dogs life.

Yeah, it's all bonkers. Better to try and get from a breeder that you know - i.e. the ones (probably like yourself, once upon a time), who do not breed for profit but as a hobby. I got my last GSD from a vet, so at least I knew they were in good health. Still, the cost of keeping them, and vets bills put them out of reach for me at the moment. One of these fine days, maybe...

And yes, shelter / rescue dogs cost about $300 in the UK also. My parents got one last year. We were told it was 5 years old, only to find she was 9 years old! Still, its a little thing, and has the energy of a younger dog, so no hip issues etc.

Last edited:
My most favourite breed is the greyhound, most grossly overbred, forced to run for their lives. I have 2 rescues and i love them to death, i could talk about them all day. MY babies were dumped at pounds and would be dead without me.

They are gorgeous quiet gentle dogs that love nothing more than a comfy lounge or bed to sleep the day away...

I've owned dogs all my life. But honestly, I'm not sure what my favorite breed is
hmm.png

Normally, I would say border Collies. And they probably are in theory. I always said when I could retire and devote my time to a dog, I'd get a border Collie. Cause they need lots of devotion! Well, I"m at home now, but just don't have the energy to make one into a good dog, I think it would be a nightmare right now. So, at the opposite end of the spectrum....

Honey's favorite breed is the Great Dane. Here's Eve, aka the Poop, aka the Princess. She's our third Dane. Partially deaf, and the first dog I've owned who is Purely Ornamental. She literally serves no useful purpose, but we love her to pieces and she's a great dog for us right now.

My favorite breed has to be Pitbulls!

They are such good dogs! They are probably one of the most "hated" dog breeds out there (mostly because people believe alot of what they hear) but I love them! We have a Pit bull lab right now and she is the best family dog ever!

Hmm...I know so many dog breeds, owned various dog breeds and encountered so many dog breeds in person, that its impossible to choose my favourite
th.gif
However, if I had to narrow down my options-The Pitbull has to be one of my favourites.

The are so misunderstood in todays society, and often, people listen to everything they hear on social media. Therefore, giving the dogs a bad reputation. Sometimes, I cant help but wonder what Pitbulls would be seen as if it wasn't for Social Media. You know, ANY dog can turn aggressive in the wrong hands! Trust me, I've seen more aggressive little Chihuahuas than I have Pitbulls! That being said, I understand they have attacked, and killed, but really its the fault of the owner.

I have a few Pitbull furbabys, and I love them to shreds. They are so protective, and I trust them with my whole heart! They are social, energetic, and loving dogs whos heart is bigger than there body, all the want is to be loved, and they will return the favour if you love them dearly. They have to be some of the sweetest dog breed I know, and my pitbulls cross's are excellent with the poultry, even if they eye them up for dinner some days! They are just big softies, my youngest pup, whos a pitbull crossed with Bull Arab, gets scared at a grasshopper, so you should see her reaction when she comes across a big rooster!
gig.gif

Bull Arabs, Great danes, GSD's, Huskys, Australian Shepherds,
Weimaraner, a​
nd Boxer dogs also have to be dog breeds in which I love
love.gif

Mustangrooster. I have to ask what is a Bull Arab- the best I could come up is an Arabian horse but, I don't they use them with dogs.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom