What is your favorite coop/nesing box/run "bedding"?

You might find this article helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

I like pine shavings in the coop but often end up with a mix of materials in there according to what I have handy when I need it.

In the run I use a lot of pine straw because it's free for the raking out of my yard, but I also have straw, fall leaves, dried grass clippings, and other stuff in there. IMO, a mix of materials better resists packing and matting.

Wood chips -- the sort you get from a tree trimming service -- are highly recommended as long-lasting litter for the run and are especially useful to help solve mud problems.

I would highly advise against gravel as there is on real way to clean it and it gets really gross

Ditto.

Gravel is hard on the birds' feet and the poop just filters down in to accumulate then, when it eventually gets wet, it REEKS.

People who have success with sand over the long term almost always life in dry climates and do intensive management in the form of frequent, meticulous poop-scooping.

I had read that that anything with pine in it is actually bad for your chickens.

Pine shavings are used by many commercial livestock raisers. If it were harmful they wouldn't risk their valuable birds. People claiming that pine is bad for chickens are probably trying to sell you something else.

Just so you know, that coop is 6 by 3 feet. Total of 18 feet. The most I would consider putting in there is 2 chickens. As a general rule of thumb, 4' inside the coop house, and 10' in the run, per bird. If you have 6 chickens, the total area would be 84 square feet, being 24' inside the coop, 84' in the run. So I would recommend a bigger coop, even if you are only planning on a few chickens. There are lots of great coops here on BYC with easy DIY instructions.

As for your actual question, I use pine shavings all throughout the coop. They are easy to clean and smell nice. Also not very expensive (at least where I am) Another good option is straw. I hope you enjoy your chickens!
Thank you so much for your information. I will look around for better coops, this one was not out of the box yet so i should be able to return it. I wonder why it is even allowed to marketed for up to 6 birds if it wont fit them.

I wonder why it is even allowed to marketed for up to 6 birds if it wont fit them.

They can claim numbers based on the standards for commercial chicken farms -- which use intensive management techniques such as forced air ventilation and debeaking to prevent pecking injuries.

I am setting up the "big girl" coop for my 6 mystery chickens ( probably BSL) and am debating what to put in the various places a chicken will spend their day.

I am setting up the Sentinel coop from TCS. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001?cm_vc=-10005

I was thinking of using hemp in the nest boxes with course sand under the roosting bar and on the floor of the coop. I was going to also put pea gravel and sand in the little run area and cover it with hemp or chopped straw in the winter to keep the ladies warmer. The coop will be under a deck that has very good drainage, shade and protection from the elements. They will have access to a fenced area of the nearby woods to free range and scratch around in so unless we are out of town they wont have to live their lives in the coop/run.

Does this sound like a pretty good set up? What do you do for your chickens?

Any advice is welcome!
I use sand in the run and a mix of sand and Sweet PDZ on the coop floor.
Sweet PDZ alone is what I use on the poop board - lightweight, non-toxic, compostable, removes ammonia smell and works as a dessicant to dry up the poop. I refresh every 3-4 months here and there as needed.

The coop doesn't seem to give the dimensions of the main part of the coop minus the nest boxes and "run". How big is the coop area? It doesn't look big enough for 6 chickens.

I LOVEEEE Pine pellets, seriously they are the bomb.com

I would highly advise against gravel as there is on real way to clean it and it gets really gross :sick
Oh and of course :welcome
Ask any more question you would like me to answer!
That coop is lacking ventilation imo. Looks like a chicken coffin! (Just a joke about TSC coops). But seriously. Ventilation I’ve learned is like, #1, right behind predator proofing! Maybe you can cut holes if you havnt mentioned it yet. Good luck! I started with what i was told were 6 BSL back in may. Mine are 13 weeks now and clearly not BSL’s, lol. I’ve learned a lot coming here to ByC. Ask specific questions and you’ll get detailed, specific responses from the pros! 🐓❤️

That coop is lacking ventilation imo. Looks like a chicken coffin! (Just a joke about TSC coops). But seriously. Ventilation I’ve learned is like, #1, right behind predator proofing! Maybe you can cut holes if you havnt mentioned it yet. Good luck! I started with what i was told were 6 BSL back in may. Mine are 13 weeks now and clearly not BSL’s, lol. I’ve learned a lot coming here to ByC. Ask specific questions and you’ll get detailed, specific responses from the pros! 🐓❤️
To be honest I didn’t even look at the coop but I agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom