What Is Your Favorite Type Of Game Chicken

Would you go find someone else to poke with your stick.  This thread/topic was for Game breeds.  OEG, moderns, and pheonix simply are not......
moderns were bred from OEG and malay and as such are considered full game I wouldn't take one to a cock fight but it is what it is plus I have a redbrown that would take on a jersey giant if I let him so the spirit is still there too... and OEG? Game is in the name :/ I think just because the thing won't kill at the drop of a hat some people that are into that sort of thing shun it. IMO there's game chickens and then there's game bred chickens just like APBT's just because its a game dog doesn't mean you could fight it that's what game bred dogs do line bred and such

Last edited:
moderns were bred from OEG and malay and as such are considered full game I wouldn't take one to a cock fight but it is what it is plus I have a redbrown that would take on a jersey giant if I let him so the spirit is still there too... and OEG? Game is in the name
hmm.png
I think just because the thing won't kill at the drop of a hat some people that are into that sort of thing shun it. IMO there's game chickens and then there's game bred chickens just like APBT's just because its a game dog doesn't mean you could fight it that's what game bred dogs do line bred and such
It's a really old thread; I think the biggest issue is that certain people see game as a name- other people see it as a "nature." Game is only in the name because that was their nature, otherwise they are simply "Old English" "Malay" "Thai" "Shamo" etc.

To me, as someone who was brought up with gamefowl and bred them as well until last year. I use the term Modern's, or Modern game- but I do not consider them a game, I don't care what they came from they are simply not a game and were not bred to be. They were a exhibition breed, probably called "Modern" because it was bred for modern (i.e. present reasons) times when cockfighting was outlawed and game was just tagged on to signify a "type."

Old English game are variable. I don't call them all games, like the US bantams I refer to simply as "Old English Bantams" most of the time. They are not game in nature nor are they even real OEG (as they have been crossed with Dutch and Rose comb bantams and with other breeds along the way.) Many of the OEGB of Oxford type in Europe and Australia, etc.. I do consider games because they are- the Carlisles I do not as they are like Moderns and were bred simply for exhibition after cockfighting was outlawed.

My Kraienköppe are deeply rooted in gamefowl ancestry- but they also carry other blood like Leghorns and "country chickens" (which no one really knows what exactly based on my information I have. It could be a large variety of breeds of various shapes and sizes- some breeds they may have contributed are mentioned in some articles.) Some people refer to them as gamefowl, I tell them "They were, but no longer are. They are egg laying/ornamental fowl."

As for your APBT comment, it is the same thing. Not all pitbulls are "game dogs," there are Pitbulls and then there are "Game dogs." I don't know any game dog breeder who would disagree with that comment and I know quite a few game dog breeders who just as gamefowl breeders made distinctions between true games and non-game game-type fowl do the same with pitbulls. Amstaff's are bred from basically the same thing as a Pitbull- if not the same, sources differ. But they are not a game breed and never were bred for such to my understanding, they are like Carlisle and Oxford type Old English- some pits were bred for what is in their name, the pit. The Amstaff's were bred for exhibition and companions, etc.

Just because a bird will fight doesn't mean it is a game either, my cousin had a Silkie that would routinely fight other birds and they have no gamefowl heritage at all anywhere in their ancestry. A Silkie is a Silkie because of the feathering- just like games are games because of their nature/mentality- without it they are simply an ornamental breed in my eyes.

But, no, I don't shun it just because it isn't a game either. I don't even raise games now- I have very few true games left on the yard as I've sold, culled, or given away basically every one I had to focus only on the Kraienköppe. I have only two true games left on the yard: The first is a pure Whitehackle hen I'm selling this Saturday and the second is Doc Charles Everett Malay. The little Malay is being used in my Kraienköppe project for type, size, etc. So after he dies (I don't really see myself getting rid of him, after I run out of uses for him I guess he'll just hang around as a pet) that will be all of the games I have.

I do have Shamo that are from Jim Zook, but as I and some other game breeders came to the conclusion of: They are not games like the JK line. They may have originated from gamefowl, but they are not games any longer- they are an exhibition fowl
smile.png
. Which for Shamo, this is true of the fowl in their homeland too. Some are show fowl, some are meat fowl, some are gamefowl bred for the pit. They are still "Shamo" but they are not "gamefowl." Just like Hmong meat chickens are bred from a majority of gamefowl, they are never considered games by anyone either despite looking identical to a black faced thai most of the time.

God bless,
Daniel.

I really like the dom s but I have some Albany hatch cross that have really pale faces and are almost all black would like to see if any one else has any like that I will post pics latter.

Back
Top Bottom