What is your favorite white egg layer?

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
13 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
I like to keep a pretty egg basket, for myself, to give as gifts, and they sell better.

Having said that, I find that the white egg next to the other colors makes for a nice contrast, especially against my dark Maran eggs.

So I'm looking for a layer of white, medium large to large size eggs, and a reasonably good producer, but doesn't have to be prolific...the only thing I can think of is the typical Leghorn, but find full breed Leghorns noisy and flighty, so I thought I'd look at other breeds too to see if there was one that was a bit calmer.

Has anyone used Minorcas?

What about Andalusians?

I can go down Henderson's breed list of white egg layers, but I'd like some input from you folk.

Thanks for the input
Lady of McCamley

I had white leghorns in the past and had no issues with her. It is the worlds most common chicken, Probably the best producer, Is a less massive chicken than some of other eating machines, like red sex link. Just like people, chicks will have different tempers. I see this in my twins (chickens). I named my leghorn LUCKY, got her from the butcher shop. She lived a good while until raccoon. sent her to other side. Have fun raising your flock.

My hatchery brown Leghorns were a bit flightier than the dual purpose breeds, but not tons.

I'm currently raising up some barred Hollands for a breeding project. They're young still, hatched late May, but I've not noticed any difference in overall behavior from any other birds I've raised. I'm hard put to tell them from the cuckoo Marans of the same age. I got mine from Ideal. They're not laying yet, but are supposed to be decent white egg layers.

I completely agree about the white egg just making the other colors pop in the carton!

Back
Top Bottom