What is your feeding Schedule

Zuesdude

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
OH
Hay Guys....I have some questions,... What is your Feeding Schedule,

Keeping in mind that there should allways be water available for the birds.

What Time Do You Feed?
Do you feed morning and night?
Do you use night feeding to get your birds inside?
What is the best time frame to feed, For the bird not me?
Do you feed late at night if you forget to feed?

I have food and of course water available at all times. In the morning when I let them out for the day is when they get their treats. Leftovers from the night before or something else I may have for them. MY MIL goes through a couple of watermelons a week and she always sends the rinds, with lots of pulp home for my birds. They give her eggs and she gives them watermelon!

I do use scratch once in a while to get them in the coop. Sometimes they just want to stay up all night!!
celebrate.gif
I am
old.gif
and ready for bed at 9!

Sure hope this helps!
fl.gif

I do chores twice a day, and along my route, I check the henhouse's feeders. I make sure there's food in it at all times.

My girls have feeders in their coops, water is usually outside, except in the dead of winter when they don't free range. Then I set up heated bowls in the coops for them.

6AM - let out of coops for the day, check food and water, throw them some leftovers and greens to scavenge in the bushes

3PM - check for eggs the last time and take them small cup of homemade scratch...oats, wheat, sunflower seeds, cracked corn

6PM - DD goes out after dinner to play with chickens and takes them some rehydrated alfalfa horse cubes (soaks them in water until soft)

9PM - closed up coops for the night, they have pellets in their coops

I feed once in the mornings of chicken feed. At this time I open the coop door and they have free range time during the day. About mid day I throw in some tomatoes, left over stuff (that is safe of course) and some yogurt. Supper time they get more chicken feed and I lock them up for the night. Then they roost and sleep...then we start the wonderful day all over
smile.png

I have always had feed and water availible at all times. I would give them some scratch feed before and after work. Now retired, probably mid-morning and whenever I need to lure them outside when I have an inside coop chore. I always had kids that would feed them grass though the run mesh also, both the kids and the chickens loved that! Never had to lure them in the coop at night, they pretty much did that on their own.

Quote:
same here -- i check it in the morning before work and in the evenings when i get home

right now they are young -- so i only have to refill their feeder every other day ... and my 7 year old daughter is constantly tossing in her special mix of "greens" that consists of anything that grows in the backyard

I feed about between mid morning and lunch. If I have young birds that can't figure out to go in when it gets dark I feed them at night until they understand to go in when the sun goes down.

I have been trying to keep my feeders full at all times. With my five 1 year olds, I was giving them equal parts of scratch grains and layena during the cold weather. Now I have started cutting back on the scratch grains and notice that they are wasting a lot of the layena by picking through the feeder and pushing it out. It seems like they are wasting a huge amount of food. Hubby has suggested that I feed only in the morning since he lets them out of the pen to free range when he comes home from work-usually they are out and about for a couple of hours before dark. I know they are getting a lot of worms because I've seen them scratch through the leaves and pull them up. They are also eating grass and clover and whatever else they find. He thinks I'm feeding them too much.

My babies (7-8 wks old) seem to waste a lot too. I fill their feeder each night before I go to bed so that I don't have to go out and check on them until just before I leave for work. There is always a little food left in the feeder and a lot on the floor around it when I get home about 6pm every night. And of course they ALWAYS have fresh water at all times.

Am I feeding too much? Thus the waste? Or is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom