What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Howards, Sep 20, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My boy Gigi is sweet - and highly enjoys being blow dried after a bath. He falls right asleep when you hold him like a baby. [​IMG] But he freaks out when his hair is down. He is always on high alert. He thinks someone is following him 24/7

2. WillowChick

WillowChick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]LOL! I think I would too if I couldn't see LOL!!! He's so adorable!

3. aoxa

Thank you :)

He gets picked on - so he is nervous of the other boys. :p When he sees them coming, he isn't so afraid :lol:

4. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Well we actually have Three chickens who are working for this tittle.
    Serena our buff cochin. She likes to follow me around and will take food from my hand.
    Cherry Rhode Island Red who likes to be held but only on her terms. She usually will run from you.
    Freeda our white Americana who loves to be snuggled right before we close up the coop for the night. She will stand on the roost and look at you until you pick her up and hold her close. I usually rub her head for a wile and then put her down and she goes right to sleep.
    [/FONT]

5. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    My two barred rocks are just wonderful. The are calm and follow is all over the yard. We are in the city and they are quiet and calm chickens that are sweet with my four year old.

6. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Personally, I find that often my chicks are terrified of me no matter how slow and gentle I try to be and I handle them quite often. But around 3 months of age, they all suddenly get friendly. I think it's a natural instinct in chicks to be scared, but it also depends on the breed and the individual chicken. Some I don't believe will ever like me, while others are overly friendly right on my feet all the time, but I worked with and raised them all the same way. Of course, I find the best way to a chickens heart is cheese, hahaha. Even my most anitsocial chickens will run up to me and eat from my hands in order to get their fair share of the cheese.

7. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Ohh, she is pretty! MIxed colors, but she is still beautiful and she's has geat type! Just lovely! My cochins are also my friendliest chickens, I just love them!

8. Peggy-Sue

Peggy-Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I have a orpington and she is just the nicest little thing. She follows me everywhere I go and if i am sitting she'll jump right up on my lap and practically fall asleep.

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    This little lady right here! Her name is Nugget and shes a 26 week old Old English Game bantam. She will sit on my lap longer than any cat or dog I've ever had, LOL. I've called to her and had her fly up on my shoulder more times than I can count!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Editing to add:

Nugget, at 12 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  10. aoxa

:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by