What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

My ex batt and Buff orpington (on this pic with the two ex batts, the one with the wing kept in is her, the other one with the wing out would deffo be on the list but she was killed the other week)

Our friendliest is our EE named Martha. Most times she is willing to be picked up and carried around unless she is busy doing her chicken business such as looking for bugs and stuff.

Mine is my red sex-link, Rexy. She'd the lowest girl in the pecking order, but is always the first to come greet me, loves to be petted, and is extremely sweet.
Ha! Our red sex-link is one of the orneriest, once you get her she is fine but not for too long. Seems our friendliest girl has now turned into the most unpredictable. Pepper, the Dominique, sometimes is nice and other times she pecks and tries to pull the skin off your hand. She is not the head of the pecking order but guess she thinks she should be, when the leader is not around that is. Since our EE started laying on Christmas Eve she has taken the friendliest title. She dances over to me every day to get a hug and then she is ready to bounce off.

This is "Sticky" she's a movie star! She's the one that allows strangers to pet her and pick her up. She "talks" a lot too. She's a favorite! She's a bantam mottled cochin I hatched in the incubator :)

My Barred Rock Hypatia, for sure. Her sister, Ms. Rosalyn Franklin was also just as friendly, but was recently eaten by a bear (yeah, a bear).
sad.png

I did an experiment with these girls. I wanted to see which breed, if any, was more disposed to being "human friendly." I had a diverse mix of chicks and hand fed all of them, cuddled them on a daily basis, and made sure to REALLY get them human friendly. The Barred Rocks came out #1 on the friendliness scale, and there was definitely differences between each breed. I actually couldn't peel the Barred Rocks off of me if I went outside. They were in serious danger of being kicked, stepped on, sat on, or hit with a shovel every move I made. They even knew the sound of my truck and would start a clucking frenzy when I would get home from work. Ever have a chicken fly at you because running was too slow? Yeah, its intimidating...

My Barred Rock Hypatia, for sure. Her sister, Ms. Rosalyn Franklin was also just as friendly, but was recently eaten by a bear (yeah, a bear).
sad.png

I did an experiment with these girls. I wanted to see which breed, if any, was more disposed to being "human friendly." I had a diverse mix of chicks and hand fed all of them, cuddled them on a daily basis, and made sure to REALLY get them human friendly. The Barred Rocks came out #1 on the friendliness scale, and there was definitely differences between each breed. I actually couldn't peel the Barred Rocks off of me if I went outside. They were in serious danger of being kicked, stepped on, sat on, or hit with a shovel every move I made. They even knew the sound of my truck and would start a clucking frenzy when I would get home from work. Ever have a chicken fly at you because running was too slow? Yeah, its intimidating...
WOW! sorry she got eaten, by a bear no less, again wow. I did the same thing. All of ours are different breeds, they were all picked because their disposition was calm to friendly. All were handled and hand fed and I too noticed a difference between their behaviors in friendliest. Oddly enough the EE who is current champ in that arena wasn't handled as much- she was in a later group.
ours only run at me when they think there is a snack in hand otherwise we get the tail feathers. I bet that is an awesome welcome home with all those happy clucking critters.

Back
Top Bottom