What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

I honestly think it's more about the bird than the breed, i won't disagree some breeds are more personable than others but i find all of my breeds to have a member to be very sweet, while others may remain more standoffish.

Frankly, the more your around the flock, the more people oriented they become. That will be the case for just about any breed.

My blue Wheaton ameracauna pullet, well her butt:

My friendliest is my red sex link. She fallows me around and hops up on my knee when ever I set down.
My first RSL, Cait, was an awesome girl! I have found that my sex links tend to be one of two ways... either loving like Cait or could care a less about me, like the ones I have right now. They rather peck at my hands than eat the treats I am offering.

this girl has become very friendly. she is BCM/Isbar.
She is so sweet looking. Just wanna give her a hug.

I have a blue Wheaton ameracauna pullet that is incredibly friendly.

Before that, a RIR.
Would love to see her (well a front view lol).

My blue ameraucana pullet and my rc light brown leghorn rooster.
Lucky you to have a rooster be friendly. We currently have 3. Two silkies that are calm and easy going. I can hold them when I manage to catch them and they don't mind. The funniest thing to me is that they run the third guy, a SL cochin all over the yard. And the cochin is a beast... a big boy. Thankfully he doesn't realize he is so big.

Our speckled Sussex, Peggy sue is our friendliest

Awesome pic! Had to laugh at the looks on your faces. What is the back story with that shot? Am not sure if he is trying to prove he is not scared of the poor little hen or if he just said something ridiculous. Have to say that our SS is great also. She is quiet and unassuming. She faithfully lays every day, winter or summer. She was a bit fussy in the beginning but is very quiet now.

I honestly think it's more about the bird than the breed, i won't disagree some breeds are more personable than others but i find all of my breeds to have a member to be very sweet, while others may remain more standoffish.

Frankly, the more your around the flock, the more people oriented they become. That will be the case for just about any breed.
I completely agree. Just posed the breed question because it is the easiest way to describe the birds sometimes. Plus I wanted to see all the lovely shots and hear great stories. All animals have the potential to be friendly or nasty, just like us. I also found it funny that a lot of hatcheries list temperament on their info sheets. For us it is most always the exact opposite. If the breed is supposed to be calm and quiet, ours will be noisy and basically h*ll on wheels. If they are supposed to be noisy ours will be the very picture of quiet and easy going. I gave up following those suggestions long ago. Now I just look to see if the birdie catches my eye and if it is supposed to be able to handle the weather we have. I don't even look for egg production. I have learned my lesson with the production layers. The stresses of that much production is hard on their bodies. Lost too many to unknown causes, possible heart attacks, and such. They were much too young.
But I do enjoy a good story and pictures. I bet you have a few...
Love the chocolate Scovies in your pic. We have 2 that we got after they were already grown. Needless to say they don't have much to do with me but will eat treats out of my hand. I just love the mohawks they throw up every time I walk by.

my friendly chicken(s) was a buff orpington hen, her name was Karen.. she would came when you would call and she loved to be held like a baby, but she was eaten by a raccoon, so then I got a black bantam cochin hen and she is sooooooo calm and LOVES to be held and she goes where ever there are people.

Production red:
Love mines!
Little red,cleans,free ranges,talks t me,sometimes even cuddles...
Rhode reds:
Shes sweet..

Hermie was our BBR Bantam who LOVED people and loved to be held. He would even come running when he heard us pull up in the driveway.
Here he is asleep on my wife. He went into the woods one day and never returned :(

my friendly chicken(s) was a buff orpington hen, her name was Karen.. she would came when you would call and she loved to be held like a baby, but she was eaten by a raccoon, so then I got a black bantam cochin hen and she is sooooooo calm and LOVES to be held and she goes where ever there are people.
So sorry about Karen. BOs are such pretty birds. Our Carmella will not let anyone but my DH touch her. She looks at me like I am an alien to be pecked to death ;) I bet the bantam cochin is adorable! Ours are full sized and I just love her fluffy butt!!! No really, I am always taking pictures of fluffy rears, it's an addiction I think. There is even a thread on here for fluffy butts (fyi) so I know I am at least not alone in my obsession.

She looks just like our Cait. Man I miss that bird. Same look in her eye and everything!

Hermie was our BBR Bantam who LOVED people and loved to be held. He would even come running when he heard us pull up in the driveway.
Here he is asleep on my wife. He went into the woods one day and never returned :(

Had to look up BBR, wasn't familiar with that abbreviation. But man alive they are handsome little things! And he looked so happy and content in that pic. Sorry you lost him but it sure looks like he had a great life.

My daughter's friendliest chicken was actually a duck who thought he was a chicken. he was raised with hens and when we finally did get him a girl duck he was not interested. His name was Timber. he liked to run and hop on my daughter's lap when she called. and he would shiver with happiness is why we called him Timber. (shiver me timbers) if a hen came by while he was having his "moment" he would hop off her lap and chase the hen away then come running back.. and he never pooped on her lap. just would do so as soon as he would get off her lap. He was a rouen.

Last edited:

My friendliest is an ISA brown. She'll climb onto my lap if I sit on the ground. She follows me everywhere, comes when I call & never bites me. (bonus!) After her is my leghorn...starting to trust me more & always comes when I bend down to give her some dandelions or clover. I also have an Orpington and an Ameraucana that run from me...lol :rolleyes:

My smartest and friendliest is an Isa Brown too. She will come right over to visitors and eve lets them pick her up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom