What is your guess on breed.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ~Wind~, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    I have two 12 week old does. They are solid grey, almost blue in the sun. I was only told the age of them when we got them at auction(6 weeks), no other information. They are healthy and growing like weeds. They have tripled in size. We have had them for about 6 weeks now. They are timid but getting better and love to be pet and held close.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...645716125355_824430354_19117325_3182505_n.jpg

I hope this like works I'm not sure how to post pics yet as I am new to the board. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    look alot like what I bought as a Blue New Zealand at an auction. Was told later there are no Blue New Zealands. Could be Americans?
    They are adorable, and I think the "rabbit term" color for them would be blue.

Beautiful bunnies!

3. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks

Its hard not knowing thier breed and how big to expect them to get. We want to build them new cages but guess we will wait til they finish growing lol.

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    They look like Americans in the blue variety.

New Zealands do come in blue as well....it's just not an accepted variety. If I had to guess they'll be easily over 7lbs. Probably pushing over 9. They have huge ears and a bell shape.

The only thing that makes me question the American breed is that they are so rare. There are only a few hundred pure animals in the country.

5. EnglishSpot2003

EnglishSpot2003 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Indiana
    Possibly Flemish, or Flemish cross.

6. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Actually ... the blue NZ is not an accepted color via ARBA ... but ... there is a COD currently held and it is being worked on. My barn contains both blue and broken blue NZ. It will be a color accepted by ARBA in the future.

That being said ... you could have a blue NZ if there is somebody in the area working with them. In the nest box right now I have a broken blue, blue in one litter and 2 blues in another. All out of Broken black to broken black breedings.

Oh ... as for your new kiddos ... they look to be Americans. Have the body look and head. Not a NZ head.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I'm saying blue American too. There is a womans in my 4-H club that breeds Americans in both varities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by