What is your "If only someone had told me!" moment?

Like I said, this is just my experience and I am just 1 person. I am sure lots of people get hatchery stock and don't even give it a 2nd thought.

I don't agree with hatchery practices. I don't like that the hens are kept in a large barn that's wall-to-wall chickens, no access to free range, grass, greens, or trees. I don't believe that hatcheries are selective in the way that a backyard enthusiast might be; spending time with them, actually knowing the hens, observing their behavior, personalities, and health. I think they are after the highest # of birds, eggs, and chicks to make the highest profits possible. I don't like the idea of sacrificing certain principles for the almighty dollar.

Hatcheries prevent widespread illness by giving anti-biotics to the general population on a regular schedule, which also happens to kill all the good bacteria in the digestive system (pro biotics can help with this, but by repeatedly killing all the bacteria, it is severely deflating the immune system). I don't agree with this practice.

Here is a video of hatchery hens, no this isn't considered inhumane, however I do not find it acceptable for the way I want my chickens to be raised:

Another consideration is the disposal of male chicks. Everyone wants females, but 50% of all chicks hatched are males. The males are not killed humanely in my opinion. In a hatchery they are dropped into a meat grinder while still alive. This is considered humane in hatchery practices, but it gives me nightmares. here is a video of this practice, [COLOR=FF0000]warning[/COLOR], it's [COLOR=FF0000]VERY[/COLOR] upsetting:
it also shows chicks on conveyer belts, and de-beaking, just warning you.

I can pretty much guarantee you that any small backyard breeder is going to take great pains to make sure any life they take is taken humanely and only when necessary. Yes, I have culled a baby chick before. I cut off it's head in 1 smooth motion, while it was held warm and comforted in my hands. It had no fear, it didn't feel anything past the severing of it's spinal cord. I only culled it because I had to, not because of it's gender. The remaining males I hatch are grown up to butcher weight, then processed for the table. I believe this is the most humane and ethical way of doing things, and it's the only way I can participate in poultry rearing with a clear conscience.

more hatchery information: http://www.juststruttinfarm.com/hatchery-horrors.html
you still shouldn't say that your experience discredits hatcheries. You didn't buy them from a hatchery, you bought them from someone else.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's been illegal to use antibiotics in poultry since the 80's or 90's...maybe that's the growth hormones I'm thinking of.

I think you are getting "battery" keeping mixed up with hatcheries. Several hatcheries have places even my spoiled chickens would love to live

Last edited:
Hi everyone, im completely new to this and dont have any chicks yet...yet, but am wondering why regret buying from hatcheries? what sort of heartache? I would prefer to buy locally but it seems there isnt much breed variety where I live.
Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego high desert.

There are some issues with buying directtly from a hatchery. They are hatched sexed packed and shipped within hours. Chicks can live up to three days without food or water.... They live off the egg yolk they have absorbed during the last stages of cracking their shells open to get out. All goes good and your post office does its job and you pick your chiks up at the post office the day they arrive. But if there are delays or storms or extreme heat or cold conditions there could be an issue.

IN my personal opinion.For beginning its easiest to get your chicks from the feed store. They will have already absorbed the potential losses dealing with the hatchery so you dont have to do it. Or to get your chicks from a breeder. Hatchery and feed store will guarantee the sex of your chicks to be 99 percent female. OFten times the Feed store will take back a male and sell it to someone who wants one. Not always though.

For instance I bought Guinea Keets from a breeder in Northern California.... I got 40 of the little buggers.... They came in a full box with Watermellon strapped to the sides of the container.... OMG Those keets had watermellon breath .... They had water melln Poos.... and every bit of the mellon was gone.

But I have bought at the feed store (feed stores buy from hatcheries):
Light Brahmas
Americanas Or Easter Eggers
Barred Rocks
Guinea Keets

I have seen lately in My local feed store
Brahmas
Marans
Silkeys
Americanas
Rode Island Red
Orphingtons
Astralorps
Wellsummers

I have also ordered a special order through the feed store..... Using their hatchery I ordered 25 Wellsummers specifying five males and 20 females. Wellsummers are great layers and you can sex them because boys and girls are somewhat marked differently. One little one didnt make it and I didnt have pay for it.

deb

Also, I'm pretty sure it's been illegal to use antibiotics in poultry since the 80's or 90's...maybe that's the growth hormones I'm thinking of.

I think you are getting "battery" keeping mixed up with hatcheries. Several hatcheries have places even my spoiled chickens would love to live

hmm.. no.. that isn't the case. any feed supply store you go to will sell you poultry anti-biotics, it's certainly not illegal.

if you read my post, you would see that my gripes are with very specific hatchery practices.. don't even get me started on battery hens for grocery store egg production. that situation is even more upsetting
hit.gif

Hatcheries are probably not an ideal situation but they were an easy way for me to get involved with chickens that while not perfect specimens are probably fairly healthy birds. My very recent experience has gone well due to the good info on this sight, I'm sure. I ordered 10 Barred Rock chicks from My Pet Chicken. They shipped day before yesterday and arrived at the post office yesterday morning. Went from Ohio to Tennessee. I did pay for the pricey express shipping. I had my brooder and heat lamp all set up. I gave each of the little gals a bit of Poultry Nutri-Drench off my finger. I had also put a few drop in their water with a few drops of raw apple cider vinegar. Taught them to use the Britetap nipple waterer. Then put the fermented food out and worried that it took them a while to try it, but they did. Now, I've had chickens for almost 36 hours and I've spent a lot of that time staring at them. They eat, drink, poop and sleep. They have started to play a little and we haven't had one pasty butt or any signs of illness or deformity. Since they are all the same breed I worry a little that I might not know if one of them is not doing something it should but they are all active when they are awake and look healthy so far. Thanks for all the info I've gotten on this site so I could prevent some of the possible problems and hopefully will continue to. I would never even have known poop on a butt could be so serious, much less how to prevent it to start with.

Hormones aren't used any more. Antibiotics are. I've gotten nice birds (not show quality) from both hatcheries and private breeders. Things to remember; Ft. Knox coop for night time, and a safe run for times when free ranging isn't possible. No chicken wire! Good food pays, treats are extra. Balanced diet matters. Biosecurity! Bring in a sick bird, and regret it forever. Some chicks will die, with the best of care. Name them later if it helps. Chicken math! I started with three, and 20+ years later, overwinter 30 to 35. Try different breed that look interesting, and are compatable with your climate, and enjoy! Mary

When I got my first hen, I thought chicken scratch was supposed to be her main diet. Thank goodness, I researched within two weeks (she was an adoption from the shelter I worked at) and put my sweet girl on layer feed.

Wow so much great info, byc is a wonderful place to learn. As far as "i wish someone had told me"...any breeds you regret having picked up? Why?

Wow so much great info, byc is a wonderful place to learn. As far as "i wish someone had told me"...any breeds you regret having picked up? Why?
If I havent welcomed you yet Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
From the San Diego High Desert.

You havent even scratched the tip of the iceberg here... Not in your wildest dreams.... WE are going to reach more than 200,000 members soon world wide if we havent reached that mile stone yet. And you will find Scientiests and Phd's and Farmers who have done this third and fourth generation.... all the way to people like you and me who are hungry for more and more info.

for instance I dont go and "pick up" a breed.... I research its various qualities beyond what I find asthetically pleasing. In my case I live in the desert. my environment is Windy full of predators and very very hot in the summer... I need chickens that can handle heat and are very lively ready to take flight if they are scared. Good survivors. Especially if I want to free range.

Actually Guinea Fowl fit my needs better than chickens..... But I like both. If I choose chickens that are heavier and unable to fly to escape predators I have to be prepared to keep them safe. I had Light Brahmas for long enouth to reach point of lay... Four beautiful girls .... Coyotes liked them too. So now I require all my birds to be either black or naturally feathered... Natural camouflage... if they free range they must be able to fly.

Each person you will talk to will have their preferences...

Hope that helps...

deb

We live up north and needed chickens that would do well with cold temps and also free ranging. I did my research and pick out a few breeds based on egg color, hardiness, and friendliness. My main pick was Buff Orpingtons. Off to the local feed store we went. Fortunately they had about 12 - 15 different variety of chicks, all of which do well in colder climate. Unfortunately they didn't have Orpingtons. We ended up getting a box of free chicks on a special and bought two Ameraucanas (which turned out to be Easter Eggers) plus one Welsummer. I was not a fan of the free chicks since the majority of them are light colors and I had planned on only dark colored chicks since they will be outside all day long.

The chicks have been handled a lot, Four of the free chicks are extremely friendly and will fly to your arm when you go to the brooder. The EEs and the barred rock are very flighty and don't like to be handled. I am not sure how they all will fare once outside, but as of now I think breed isn't as a big of a consideration and I originally thought it would be.

We also have two hens. The Rhode Island is very tame and is a great bird. She lays an egg almost everyday, follows us around the farm, and even harasses our pony. The black Australop is gorgeous and somewhat friendly. However, she lays tiny eggs about every other day. She lays all over the place and makes us hunt for them. (Kind of like adults looking for Easter Eggs).

In the end, I think each chick is an individual. Just because there is a "breed expectation" does not mean that is what your chicks will end up as you expected. If i had to do it all over again I would pick out some random breeds and try them

What I learned:

There WILL be losses. Chicks, pullets, grown hens. No matter how well you keep them, where you order from, what antibiotics or vitamins or food you feed. Love them, name them, but expect to lose a few.

The joy of that first egg is indescribable! I was so excited to have a pet that actually gave me something back!

You WILL become that "Crazy Chicken Lady" to all your family & friends. Even if you give them eggs.

Back
Top Bottom