What is your "If only someone had told me!" moment?

I wish someone had told me not to raise the baby chicks in the house. We thought it was a good idea....but oh, the dust. It was everywhere, covering everything in the room. Now babies start out in the garage!

I can relate to that,- In a moment I call "oh look how cute those chicks are and what if someone mean buys them" I bought a box with 3 chicks and a hen, needless to say I now have 2 silkie roos and have been searching for a home for one of them for months because I am afraid to post on Craigs list which has been suggested to me, but I am alittle worried about doing that. Luckily my roos actually don't fight however there is twice as much cocka-a-doodle doing! I also thought I had done my research but found I was really lacking in my Chick education. But that said, I love being a chick mom and am looking forward to increasing my flock

If only someone had told me how much joy I would get from these chickens! The last 4 years have been terrific for me. Currently I have 18 hens from 1-4 years old and 5 (yes, too many) roosters. I spend a good bit of time taking care of them, and watching their antics.

I also wish I had not given complete credence to Murray McMurray's claim to be good at sexing. Of the 16 I got, 4 were roos. And yes, they will give you a refund, FOR ABOUT $2.50 EACH! I needed more accuracy. However, the chicks were all very strong and healthy, so they have flourished!

I have 2, and I've only had chickens for a month. Bigger brooder, and don't get chick so early in the spring. Mine are 5 weeks old and could probably go out to the coop, but it's still dipping down into the 30 at night, so I'm not sure. Oh - one more...what came first, the chicken or the egg? The COOP!! Wish someone would have clued me in on how fast chicks grow and how soon they will need to move into the coop.

I wish I'd know that my hen would always want to come in the house with the dogs. She follows them right in if I leave the door open for a minutes. I think she is lonely cause her partner died in the fall. Be we have some chicks that will be joining her soon.

That's funny Deb!  We wanted four, but ended up with with eight chicks at the store, plus two more hens I just picked up from the internet.  Now with ten potential hens it looks like I'll be selling a lot of eggs since I'm not particularly fond of the taste.

Ditto on the poo.  I wish someone would have warned me not to let the chicks on the carpet.  Most of their poops are nice and solid, but if one of the runny poos gets on the rug you practically need a carpet cleaner to get it out.  

I was also not prepared for how fast they would grow.  The famous eight have already outgrown their original brooder. We've moved them into our enclosed shower during the day.  At four weeks old they are flying pretty well and are getting good at escaping.  

4 weeks??? Omg, dont tell me that!!! I just got mine a week ago and planned to raise them in my second bathroom until they're old enough to go outside.... I dont want them flying around the bathroom and leaving "presents" everywhere for me to clean up! !

im new to chickens. it would have been nice to have someone tell me before I started to be aware of all the chicken dander ( that white dust like stuff) omg! I started with 6 chicks and would clean the brooder out ever few days ... had no idea that stuff would go every were!! its on the walls, ceiling you name it its on there! good grief love them to death but wish I was prepared for that

Back
Top Bottom