What is your "If only someone had told me!" moment?

I bought 6 two week old chicks then a week later bought 2 three week old chickens. Ho boy, the additional chicks really were heckled. I was surprised the pecking order was such serious business in little chicks.

My intention was to have a max of 10 chickens and add them whenever. I've since read some tips on integrating a flock and that's good 'cause at some point I'll need more chickens, but for now, I'm happily sticking to 8 ;)

I bought 6 two week old chicks then a week later bought 2 three week old chickens. Ho boy, the additional chicks really were heckled. I was surprised the pecking order was such serious business in little chicks.
My chicks that were all the same age and I got at the same time started fighting when they were two weeks old. They are still fighting (not bad though) but probably because they are Roos and not pullets. The chicks we have that are definitely pullets don't fight at all. :)

I wish I had learned about vitamin deficiencies in chicks!

Two of mine couldn't walk and had weak feet. We gave them vitamins and nutrients in the form of a vitamin-electrolyte supplement and later replaced that with Nutri-drench (also using vitamin B12).

But don't overdose vitamins, because they could get dehydrated.

And a friend told us about comfrey tea...1 tablespoon per gallon. But BE CAREFUL...someone told me that some varieties don't do anything and could actually be harmful, and you need to make sure you buy the right dried comfrey. We bought ours at a health food store.

I just read an article in our local newspaper that avocados can KILL chickens. I always give my chickens leftover kitchen scraps (the bulk of their diet is regular chicken feed) and I had no idea that avocados would be harmful. Is there a longer list of food that might kill a chicken?

I wish someone told me how fast chicks outgrow a brooder so I could have started with a huge one instead of having to buy a larger one again and again.
future reference. If you don't get large numbers of chicks at a time, one trick is to hit the thrift shops, and pick up one of those fold up mesh play pens. Easy to store, easy to clean. you can use saran wrap or whatever around the outside to keep the bedding in the pen if it isn't one of those that has solid plastic a little up the sides.

I had actually bought one of those fold up travel puppy play pens years ago for my new puppy. works perfectly as a brooder and for their first outings because it has a zip on/off mesh cover and a solid floor that is kept in place by velcro tabs so can be easily removed allowing the chicks to play in the grass in total safety. The whole thing folds up flat into it's own carry case when you're done! It is also large enough to be used as an emergency isolation pen if needed.

Last edited:
future reference. If you don't get large numbers of chicks at a time, one trick is to hit the thrift shops, and pick up one of those fold up mesh play pens. Easy to store, easy to clean. you can use saran wrap or whatever around the outside to keep the bedding in the pen if it isn't one of those that has solid plastic a little up the sides.

I had actually bought one of those fold up travel puppy play pens years ago for my new puppy. works perfectly as a brooder and for their first outings because it has a zip on/off mesh cover and a solid floor that is kept in place by velcro tabs so can be easily removed allowing the chicks to play in the grass in total safety. The whole thing folds up flat into it's own carry case when you're done! It is also large enough to be used as an emergency isolation pen if needed.

Thanks for the tip. I did get 12 birds, so yea, they outgrew the spaces quick. I started with a 2'x'3'x2 stock tank -- that lasted a couple weeks. But I ended up getting a 2' x 6' x 3' stock tank to finish off the brooding. That took them through 5 weeks and they just went out to the coop 2 days ago. Phew! Did I mention how quiet it's been around the house?!

We are looking to raise barred rocks or sex links. Wondering when we could take these to the coop from the garage?
check out the raising chicks forum for specifics but rule of thumb is they need to be at least fully feathered (roughly 4 weeks or so) and temps are around 70o unless you are heating the coop. They shouldn't be put in with older birds until they are roughly the same size. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom