What is your latest prepping project?

Pics
where i live we have no option to house it outdoors, tilapia must be raised indoors here. so am hoping my parents let me put this system in the house or else i have my grandparents shop i could always use.

That'll work then. I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to do Tilapia it would have to be in an attached greenhouse that is part of my heated living space. I just couldn't keep a standalone greenhouse warm enough with a wood stove in the winter.

We aren't really preppers, but we are trying to be more self sufficient. We have been raising ducks for 5 years now and have added some geese that we are currently raising to breed and sell (but might start butchering at some point) and added guineas to our flock this year. My employer offers garden space so I have a number of raised beds as well as a plot that we grow larger crops in such as squash and corn. I try to can as much as possible. I have also learned to dry herbs in the oven for preservation. Our latest investment was a pellet smoker (primarily because we love ribs and brisket), but we can't wait to try out the smoke setting when we can get a decent price on salmon.

On going project has been to change the majority of my suburban landscape into dual purpose plantings. Modified Urban Homestead if you will. Greatest risks in my area are: earthquake, civil unrest, and/or tsunami. Most folks around here don't prepare and that makes those of us that do, vulnerable. Just my two cents.

well with all this scary news about whats happening in the world right now. i really think am going to start trying to be more self sufficient, at the moment we have been talking to a few companies about aquaponics (a small starter system really) and i really think its going to happen, hoping i can get my tilapia permit or else am going with a rainbow trout system.

Back
Top Bottom