what is

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kdcrws, Sep 29, 2008.

1. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    a good meat bird?

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Depends what you mean.

You can't go wrong with the Broiler crosses, but if you're wanting eggs as well, then you should look up some dual-purpose birds.

Jersey Giants are good meat birds once finished, but it takes awhile to get them there. Australorps, Rocks, Rhode Island Reds and I've "heard" Orpingtons make good meat birds.

I KNOW that Brahma X Australorp crosses are good meat birds...YUMMY!

3. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    I have orps and bo's right now but they r pets...thinking about having separate meat flock.

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Alrighty.

I'd got with the broiler cross. It's called a Cornish Cross, Broiler bird, Cornish-Rock cross. Many things that mean the same thing.

These birds will get very large very fast. About 6-8 lbs. in about 6-8 weeks. They have very good feed conversion so little to no feed is wasted. They are LAZY so confinement is a must if you have predators that like the taste of chicken.

These birds must NOT roost because their large size could cause leg problems in birds that hop down from roosts. They will be just as happy to roost on the ground.

6-8 weeks and you'll have delicious, tender meat. Nice breast meat and nice leg meat.

5. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Thank u for the info!!!

6. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    do a BYC search on Freedom Rangers or Colored Broilers-you will gain a ton of useful information in making your decision as to what type of meat bird to raise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by