What jobs do roosters do?

Quote:
That is so true! I have seen my rooster attack full grown dogs and cats to protect his girls. One of these days he'll meet his match, but in the meantime, the neighborhood dogs and cats fear him.
lol.png

Roosters will also check out nest spots, and show them to thier hens. We recently added more nest boxes, and it was
lau.gif
so funny watching Archey and Jughead jumping, turning circles and scratching in each one calling the ladies, "hey look, here is a good spot!!!"

I have to wait to see what rooster I am going to keep. Right now I have at least 5 that are around 15 weeks old. I have no idea which one or two that I am going to keep. I would like to know before I go on vacation at the end of the month but I don't think I will. In total there are 17 in the coop 5 that I think are roosters.

My roo makes sure treats are evenly distributed between the girls. If I take them seed, bugs, fruit peices or grapes he will pick up a piece of the treat, take it to my grils who are lower in the pecking order, drop it at their feet and say cluck, cluck , cluck really fast telling them to eat it. I have also seen him feed them treats directly from his beak to theirs. It is so sweet. He also watches over them in the nesting box and stops the bickering between the chickens.

I have been wanting to get a roo for my 10 girls, but now I really really want to get one! You guys are roo enablers!
tongue.png
I have 5 older hens and 5 younger and they were pretty brutal to each other, then separated themselves (the older 5 slowly migrated back to the old coop). I would eventually like to get them combined again, and a rooster just might do the trick. I didn't realize they might help keep the peace between the ladies. I knew the obvious of what they did, and then the protection side. Pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom