What just eats head / neck?

I don't see how a camera will stop predators. It's always suggested but doesn't do anything.
No the camera does not stop the preditor, but what it does is let you know exactly what is getting your chickens, how it is getting on, and where your weak spots are in your setup.
So many posts in this section are from folks who dont know what is happening to their chickens, and many times it's just a guessing game because there are so many possibilities.
If you beef up your setup against raccoons and it turns out it's actually a weasel killing your flick, more security will be needed.

No the camera does not stop the preditor, but what it does is let you know exactly what is getting your chickens, how it is getting on, and where your weak spots are in your setup.
So many posts in this section are from folks who dont know what is happening to their chickens, and many times it's just a guessing game because there are so many possibilities.
If you beef up your setup against raccoons and it turns out it's actually a weasel killing your flick, more security will be needed.
Yup! :)

I don't see how a camera will stop predators. It's always suggested but doesn't do anything.

The OP's bird was not taken by a hawk. Raccoon or Opossum are the likely culprits. A camera won't stop them, a run with top or electric wire would.
I love my cameras. At least I know what is lurking around on my property. I also have electric wires around my coops and pens.

I lost 3 birds that looked exactly like this last night. In my 20years of raising birds I never saw a bird eaten like this until this year. In my experience a raccoon will get the bird and carry the whole thing off somewhere and you will never see anything except a few feathers. A possum will eat the guts out of the bird and leave the carcass.
These 3 birds were in a stall in my barn that I have completely reinforced and I can't find where this creature is getting into it and I am really baffled. I got ten juveniles last summer and lost 4 of them almost immediately by this same type creature. Then the coon moved in and got 3 more, then I got the coon.
Now after about 4 months this creature comes back and gets the last 3, they were laying really nice eggs.

in a stall in my barn that I have completely reinforced and I can't find where this creature is getting into
And gaps or openings bigger than this chicken wire?
download.jpeg

How the heck do you get rid of these little guys????????????
In my case, I learned to live with weasels.
Hardware cloth will keep them out of your coop and chickens are safe at night.
Weasels greatly help reduce the rodent population on your farm.
A service I appreciate.
Just house your chickens securely.

Back
Top Bottom