What killed 5 out of 6 ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by theacw, Sep 1, 2013.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    My friend is devastated that something killed her 5 ducks, 1 survived but is limping and and is confused.

She said there were 3 bodies dead on the ground, 1 was guts and feathers, and one was taken away.

It tore apart where they sleep that was made of plywood. Split down the middle front.

What would do this?

Any advice for the little one left over?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry for your friend to find her ducks killed how awful, if her duck house was well built out of plywood then I'd say a bear if ya'll have them around. Can't imagine a raccoon being able to spilt a house down the middle or even a dog unless it was very flimsy plywood. for the sole survivor it needs to be kept warm and have it's wound treated. How bad are the wounds? it is probably in shock and will need to be kept in doors in a safe place till it heals. fresh water with electrolytes added and food when it comes out of shock. {I should not be left out side to wander around dazed and confused. } shock will kill too. Let us know how bad the wounds are, ducks can come back from horrendous attacks but they need lots of TLC to make it.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is a Pests and Predators forum where you might be able to get some information on the predator.

Please do update us on the survivor.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Yes, keep us posted on the survivor and give all the best to your friend. Hope the injured one survives. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by