What killed it?

Nef003

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 25, 2016
Woke up to this brooder hen suicide.

What could it had been?

Going to clean the chicken to inspect. F5BFFC9F-25FE-4CA3-8046-567971500285.jpeg E6401608-67CB-46DA-B8E1-E33EF0A30B81.jpeg E42262DD-DEE3-4696-B3CA-FAB742AC729A.jpeg 4165FD9D-3E41-4273-B371-31861A804149.jpeg

Someone that does not carry off carcass so that rules out a fox, coyote, or bobcat. Killer did not have opportunity to fill a large stomach, because has a small stomach or was interrupted. Carcass as shown appears to have had someone pull it around by head or neck which not consistent with a Opossum or Raccoon. Attacker consumed contents of some eggs which not consistent with owl.

I think a weasel or mink involved. Look closer at head and neck for bite marks each with four holes. If they jumped in nest, then the typical running kill would not occur as the predator would deliver killing bite to back of head relatively quickly.

I would leave you found in place while making access to balance of flock more difficult. This will by you time before predator wants to make another kill and may allow you to ID culprit. Knowing who predator is makes for better ideas on how to respond.

This worm is alive.. could it be that which killed it? The hen was brooding fine; and was eating fine; no bite marks or any sort of physical damage. In any area. Maybe this worm got to it’s brain?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 14
Someone that does not carry off carcass so that rules out a fox, coyote, or bobcat. Killer did not have opportunity to fill a large stomach, because has a small stomach or was interrupted. Carcass as shown appears to have had someone pull it around by head or neck which not consistent with a Opossum or Raccoon. Attacker consumed contents of some eggs which not consistent with owl.

I think a weasel or mink involved. Look closer at head and neck for bite marks each with four holes. If they jumped in nest, then the typical running kill would not occur as the predator would deliver killing bite to back of head relatively quickly.

I would leave you found in place while making access to balance of flock more difficult. This will by you time before predator wants to make another kill and may allow you to ID culprit. Knowing who predator is makes for better ideas on how to respond.
Must be monk or weasel.. I never knew what these holes were until now... what do you think? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom