What Killed my Birds???

Wee Timmy

Songster
Mar 30, 2017
Texas
Yesterday a predator came into my yard on two separate occasions and killed 2 hens. A malay hen and a sumatra bantam. It came and killed the sumatra bantam at 9:00 in the morning and it came back and killed the malay at 4:00 in the afternoon. It killed them and took them away faster than i could get outside to see what happened. The malay hen left a very short trail of feathers behind so she was killed fast. The sumatra put up a bigger struggle and left a long trail before she was killed. There was no blood or large feathers in the trails. I found both of the bodies in the woods behind my house partially buried in the same spot, only the heads and organs were eaten. Predator had to have jumped a 5 foot fence to enter the yard and both hens were killed silently. No alarm calls or sound of struggle. What could this be???

If you can, lock them up in an enclosed run asap, as the predator will be back. I can only guess, possums usually come before daylight. What about a fox? They're very good at leaping a fence, then snatching up the prey quickly without notice. However, I'm not sure if they would try to bury their prey. You're in Texas, and I'm in Ohio, so you might have a few different predators than we have.....weasles would probably grab a hen and eat the head and innards....A skunk will too, but they usually don't show themselves in daylight.

Sounds like the work of a fox to me. I've never seen nor heard of a coon burying a carcass to return to it later....I vuess it could've been a bobcat, but they usually will pull feathers before eating and cats usually eat what they want after killing, but my money is on the fox.

I'm guessing fox, possibly coyote. Could be a bobcat, or other large wild cat. Your predator will be back. are you in a no shoot area? Your best bet is to put them in a secure run/coop for a while. Fox are very agile and grey fox are actually surprisingly good at climbing. All of these 4 footed animals can easily get over a fence.

I'll second locking them away from this predator. Could be a fox or coyote. Coyotes will go over a six foot fence, but I don't know how rural or not you are. Also, dogs. Some of them are quite springy as well.

I'm guessing fox, possibly coyote. Could be a bobcat, or other large wild cat. Your predator will be back. are you in a no shoot area? Your best bet is to put them in a secure run/coop for a while. Fox are very agile and grey fox are actually surprisingly good at climbing. All of these 4 footed animals can easily get over a fence.
Yeah, we are in a more suburban area so no shooting. But the remaining birds are in a locked run with a guard dog to hopefully there will be no more problems...

I'll second locking them away from this predator. Could be a fox or coyote. Coyotes will go over a six foot fence, but I don't know how rural or not you are. Also, dogs. Some of them are quite springy as well.
Definitely not a coyote or dog. I've had problems with both before and they dismember the bird on the spot and leave a bloody mess behind

Yesterday a predator came into my yard on two separate occasions and killed 2 hens. A malay hen and a sumatra bantam. It came and killed the sumatra bantam at 9:00 in the morning and it came back and killed the malay at 4:00 in the afternoon. It killed them and took them away faster than i could get outside to see what happened. The malay hen left a very short trail of feathers behind so she was killed fast. The sumatra put up a bigger struggle and left a long trail before she was killed. There was no blood or large feathers in the trails. I found both of the bodies in the woods behind my house partially buried in the same spot, only the heads and organs were eaten. Predator had to have jumped a 5 foot fence to enter the yard and both hens were killed silently. No alarm calls or sound of struggle. What could this be???
Did you see any foot track?
Could it be a Bobcat?

Back
Top Bottom