what killed my chick

jess19864

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2016
i can share a pic if necessary but im up here at the coop searching for vulnerabilities. I have everywhere you can possibly imagine with a hole big enough to fit through wired off with multiple layers of chicken wire. The only thing i can see is a tiny hole chewed through some wood on the bottom of the coop. Im not even sure if it was chewed it could be just deteriorating. Anyways the only purpose the wood served was to cover the underneath of the chicken coop because i had it elevated on cinder blocks. Went up there about an hour ago to check on everyone and found my baby russian orloff(approximately 2-3 months old) head sticking out from under the chicken coop. It

had been gutted. I dont Think i really have anything that would attract rats. I keep all feed inside metal cans with lids They would have had an easier time getting in to my storage container i keep outside of the chicken coop area all together. It is filled with snacks but like i said its not inside the coop area or run.

hmm pics would help .. if you let the chickens out can they get under there? maybe it was already under there and died and something just was eating on it ... anyway, personal experience is with really small chicks, they can get in places you wouldnt expect, get trapped and die etc, ive had to revise my coop a couple of times over the years from freak accidental deaths that i did at first think was a predator ..

had been gutted. I dont Think i really have anything that would attract rats. I keep all feed inside metal cans with lids They would have had an easier time getting in to my storage container i keep outside of the chicken coop area all together. It is filled with snacks but like i said its not inside the coop area or run.
lots of predators can attack chickens or chicks, coons, weasels, bears, rats, bobcats, domestic cats, even dogs, best defense is to make sure they cannot get in, all coops must be covered at top, and the bottom protected from them getting underneath, i have 12x12 cement pavers along the bottom perimeter of my coop, this is 100% fool proof, when a predator trys to dig it will become quickly frustrated by trying to scratch and claw at the cement paver, and just give up, ive had chickens for years and have yet to find a predator that could get thru this. Also strong heavy gauge mesh not chicken wire, bears can tear chicken wire like nothing, believe me a bear can rip a hole in chicken wire with no problem.

i can share a pic if necessary but im up here at the coop searching for vulnerabilities. I hav

e everywhere you can possibly imagine with a hole big enough to fit through wired off with multiple layers of chicken wire. The only thing i can see is a tiny hole chewed through some wood on the bottom of the coop. Im not even sure if it was chewed it could be just deteriorating. Anyways the only purpose the wood served was to cover the underneath of the chicken coop because i had it elevated on cinder blocks. Went up there about an hour ago to check on everyone and found my baby russian orloff(approximately 2-3 months old) head sticking out from under the chicken coop. It
I'm super sorry for your loss:(:hugs. i just had a raccoon kill my chicks they were in a dog crate and it pulled one out through the wire but since they were super little it ate the whole thing. i know that raccoons will pull the head off of chickens and they can chew threw wire. i hope you figure out what it was.

coons are normally the culprits for chicken loss, there smart and clever. ive seen a coon steal and carry away a full adult hen. and ive even seen them squeeze and crawl thru razor wire. you really have to have your coop well protected, chickens quite often will stick there heads thru chicken wire to get grass or weeds on the outside of the coup, coons are smart they will wait till this happens and then bite the chicken on the head or neck, i put a perimeter around my coup about 16 inches high of half inch galvanized mesh, this prevents the chickens from doing this and becomeing easy prey.

coons are normally the culprits for chicken loss, there smart and clever. ive seen a coon steal and carry away a full adult hen. and ive even seen them squeeze and crawl thru razor wire. you really have to have your coop well protected, chickens quite often will stick there heads thru chicken wire to get grass or weeds on the outside of the coup, coons are smart they will wait till this happens and then bite the chicken on the head or neck, i put a perimeter around my coup about 16 inches high of half inch galvanized mesh, this prevents the chickens from doing this and becomeing easy prey.
I'm sorry about your chick.
I'm going to suggest one important thing in helping you with your mystery.
Please go to your Profile settings and put in your general location if you don't want to say like South Miami or Up State New York.
This is always a HUGE help right from the start.
Pictures of possible entry and of the chick is also helpful.
Or even chick parts if that's whats left.

I'm super sorry for your loss:(:hugs. i just had a raccoon kill my chicks they were in a dog crate and it pulled one out through the wire but since they were super little it ate the whole thing. i know that raccoons will pull the head off of chickens and they can chew threw wire. i hope you figure out what it was.
The was terrible Sammie12345.

Back
Top Bottom