What killed my chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrsteiner, Nov 21, 2012.

1. mrsteiner

mrsteiner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Davison, MI
    We left our birds to free range on Saturday--they usually put themselves to bed every night, but this time we found some of them walking around our property the next morning. We found a set of wings laying on the ground that looked as if they had almost been surgically removed. No other feathers, blood or "parts". Any idea what predator pulls the wings off and takes away the rest of the bird?

We assumed that the animal had attacked before dark because so many of my girls were outside their usual ranging area, presumably they scattered to find shelter. We came home after dark, assumed everyone was in for the night and closed the pop door, only to find several of them had spent the night outside.

I'd like to know what got one of my girls so we can protect them a little better. Any ideas?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Dogs maybe? Our dog pulled the wings of one of my chickens just for fun!
    Hope you find the secret predator!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  3. WingnutCrazy

WingnutCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    Georgia
    Dogs. My first five chickens were roosters like the one in my profile pic, but I loved them. One Halloween, though, we came home only to find two wild dogs in the yard next to two dead roosters WITHOUT WINGS. The wings were in the dogs' mouths, and they were getting ready to take off with the carcasses. As soon as they saw us, they dropped the wings and ran off. I actually cried for an hour because they got my favorite one.

4. WingnutCrazy

WingnutCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    Georgia
    Sad.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by