What killed my chickens?

A list of predatory mammals that inhabit areas of New Zealand include : possum, ferret, weasil, ermine, hedgehog, feral cats, several species of rats. There may be more that I did not find but from this list, the feral cat would seem to be the most likely candidate since there was no feathers about the area where they free range.

Of the bird groups the falcon, hawk or owl would also be suspect.

Most of the mammals on the list are very smart and could easily gain entry into a unsecure coop.

Good luck in the future with your chickens jelmer.

EDIT: Of course the domestic dogs and cats would be suspect as well.

Last edited:
Jelmer,
I wouldn't rule out the 2 legged predator!! I have had a run in with a couple and my big mean st. bernard, border collie mix now stays about 5 ft. from my pen as does the golden retriever! Do you have a dog?? It's just usually a rule of thumb that almost any predatory attack leaves behind some evidence especially a roo. Now a baby chick that's easy to cart off without a feather but a roo, try grabbing one that's on the run your gonna loose feathers and a predator would leave blood.
I had a guy come by wanted my chickens hubby said no they were my pets (this guy was BEATING on the door 6 am on a Saturday)
rant.gif
, later he came back again demanding I sell some to him, I said no. About an hour later the Mennonite boys next door came running and said he stopped them on their bikes and told them he'd buy all they could catch!!!
somad.gif
They told him those were mine and he said oh he didn't know. Another lady caught a guy in her henhouse with a pillowcase throwing them in as fast as he could. Hard to believe but there are chicken thieves out there. Either way I would opt for getting a good dog, and maybe a shotgun, we have 4 and nothing bothers our babies. And we have everything from bear,bobcat, to coyote, fox, opossum, weasel, wild dogs, hawks, feral cats, owls, and 2 legged weasels!
Hope it works out for you.
Barb

Last edited:
hmm yea thanks it could easily be humans because I'm not home half the time but we have two loyal dogs who bark like crazy when someone enters the property and not many people knew I have chickens since I have only had them for about 3 weeks

I am here with tears in my eyes. was gone for 3 hours and came home to 1 hen, standing by our front door - shell shocked. my rooster and other hen are gone, no feathers either. she's the only one left. don't see hawks and they free range in the forest by the house...maybe a fox, although i have never seen one before and same - no feathers, nothing..not a trace.

so just read about a feral cat? Is this possible? 2 days ago we saw this black cat around our house, never seen it before and let the dog out to chase it away. But would a feral cat kill a big roo and a big hen?

Yes, if it is hungry, but I think you would see feathers. You may have a coyote. I know once in awhile the coyote gets one of mine in broad daylight. Took one once right in front me and only about 200 feet away.

country bum two would be about 4-5 weeks old and mother I have no idea how old she is

Back
Top Bottom