What killed my hen

KatefromOz

Songster
5 Years
Sep 5, 2017
I woke up this morning and one of my hens had been attacked and killed. One pile of feathers in the backyard, about 2 meters away another pile of feathers and a headless chook. I only have 3 chooks. She was the biggest one and honestly the one I thought would be likely to fight back. I am devastated we have had her for 7 years. The other 2 girls were completely left alone with no injuries (thankfully). I'm in Australia so I'm thinking maybe fox or dog. It was windy last night so the gate opened and they were roaming the back yard so anything could have gotten in. Any ideas?

It is hard for them to fight back when they are sleeping, they are in a weird state where they can't consciously respond.

In the states a missing head typically means a raccoon, but I have heard some folks say that rats, owls and weasels will do that, too. I think we need some other folks from Australia on here, though, I may not be able to be of any help here. 😅

In the states a missing head typically means a raccoon,
💯

but I have heard some folks say that rats, owls and weasels will do that, too. I think we need some other folks
Yes to all with the exception of the owl or any raptor. 99% of the time you will find the carcus on its back, with the stomach and breast eaten out. The heads are usually not disturbed.

💯

but I have heard some folks say that rats, owls and weasels will do that, too. I think we need some other folks
Yes to all with the exception of the owl or any raptor. 99% of the time you will find the carcus on its back, with the stomach and breast eaten out. The heads are usually not disturbed.
This is a bit of a mystery to me. We don't have any raccoons. This was my biggest chook so I'd be shocked if a rat got to her. Possibly an owl. We have foxes in the area and of course it could have been a stray dog but I'm not sure if that's a normal way of killing a chicken for them. She was on the side walk so perhaps whatever took her was disturbed and took off. Another mystery!

Yeah, that isn't typically what you would see from a fox or dog, but it doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Maybe I can try to tag some members from Australia? Maybe they would have an idea.

Even a larger hen is no match for a predator with claws and teeth. Chickens can struggle and attempt escape but really "fighting back" isn't a thing. They don't have the equipment.
Sorry you lost your girl. ☹️ I would have said raccoon due to the headless aspect but you said you don't have any.

I know here in the states Possums kill flock animals. I would think since you don't have racoons it might have been a Possum.

Back
Top Bottom