What killed my rooster?

desielducks

Songster
Jun 8, 2015
Something got to my pen and killed my main leading rooster.... he was just kind of faced down laying at the corner we’re the wires been obviously pulled back. Neither of the other two that were with him were injured it seemed like. Just my main rooster. He lived with another rooster but he ruled the roost and the other never challenged so I don’t think they could have fought each other. There were no scratches visible to the eye. No missing limbs and everything including feathers were intact... he just looked like something sat on him and he tried to run.. my area has pretty much everything under the sun when it comes to predators. But big thing is people let thwre dogs and cats run loose continually here.

Need to really have a close look at him, sometimes the puncture marks particularly the neck area are not immediately invisible until you get rid of the feathers
I know that sounds kind of morbid but a necropsy may be the only way you'll know are you tossing the carcass or you going to use it if you're going to use it you're surely going to see if he's been attacked by anything once the feathers are gone and you get inside the body cavity again I know that's morbid but that's how you find things out if you don't check it out then you have no idea what happens and it's all speculation

Hard to say without any other signs. Do you have a game camera or know someone who does that would let you borrow it? Whatever it was will be back. I am so sorry for your loss.

Look at the wire that was pulled back and see if there is any fur left behind. I had a old stud german shepherd a few years ago who had really dull teeth, he was like 9, and he attacked one of the chickens, he crushed it in his mouth and there was no blood or feathers or puncture wounds. Your roo could have definitely been killed by a old dog. I have also had a rooster kill a hen without leaving a mark on her. Another rooster was mating with the hen and this rooster, named Finch, ran over to kick the other one off, he tried to spur the other, named Tim, but he ended up hitting the hen right behind the head and it broke her neck, she died instantly and their wasn't even a cut left behind. The pulled back wire makes me doubt it was the other rooster though.

I use my game cameras. If you have one, put it up because it will most likely be back.
DSCF0001717 01.jpg
DSCF0001713 08.jpg

Back
Top Bottom