What killed this chick? *Graphic pictures*

The way the victim was handled it looks like a young raccoon or two that was not overly hungry did the deed. The like to role victim around slobbering over it as gnawing.

Be prepared to catch more than one.

First line of defense should be upgrading your bird containment, especially if you find yourself with trap-wise coon. Get birds enclosed somehow before dark and put you traps where the critter(s) will be trying to get a birds. I make so birds sleep at least a foot beyond where coon can reach. If possible make so you can hear birds either with open window or baby monitor. I used to have flashlight and light rifle or even a ball bat for driving critter off. Best method is a dog but a properly positioned hotwire can also keep them out. Also make so you do not have a lot of uneaten feed out as that attracts the varmints in and chickens are just secondary targets.

Wishing you luck and then some, but please be careful. Of the 28 raccoon we captured and released (won't be taking that avenue again) they can be So Nasty...not to mention nearly fearless. Just lased the traps bait with a couple teaspoons of poison. I sincerely don't want to offend anyone, but after what they did to the loft of the barn my level of sympathy is nearly zero. Soon as the camera is up and running I'll leave an update.

Wishing you luck and then some, but please be careful. Of the 28 raccoon we captured and released (won't be taking that avenue again) they can be So Nasty...not to mention nearly fearless. Just lased the traps bait with a couple teaspoons of poison. I sincerely don't want to offend anyone, but after what they did to the loft of the barn my level of sympathy is nearly zero. Soon as the camera is up and running I'll leave an update.

Trust me, I'll be fine.

After all the chicks I've lost this year..... I'm as ****** off as I can get. -_-

Any luck? Our trap bait was eaten and triggered but nothing was captured. It's either too small or too smart.

Great suggestions on how to tweak the traps. Didn't have anything as heavy as a cinderblock, but found something that might help. Think tomorrow I'll wrap what coated chicken wire we have left around them (love those zip ties!). Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom