What kind and what gender

Cynful481

Chirping
Dec 26, 2017
Alabama
I have somebody give me fertilized eggs to see if my broody could hatch them. Had 3 out of 4 eggs hatch all babies are the same color. Are these Black sex link chicks is it a boy since it has the white spot on its head. They all have the same mark.
Screenshot_20180402-170758.png

The head spot just tells you that the chicks will grow up to be barred. If the rooster that bred these chicks was barred then all his offspring will be barred, so all the chicks would have a head spot. Black sex links are created by using a red rooster over a barred hen. The hen can only pass the barring gene to her male offspring and this is how black sex links are produced. If you don't know whether the father or mother was barred or possibly both, the head spot has no meaning as regards their sex.

Thank you for explaining that. I am unsure what the rooster or hen were. My RIR went broody since we do not have a rooster my very kind neighbors gave me some fertilized eggs but told me he was not sure what would hatch since he was unsure what kind of chickens he had. But my RIR is taking good care of them

Back
Top Bottom