What kind/brand water nipples do you use?

wynn4578

Songster
Apr 6, 2015
Oklahoma
i recently started switching my cages to hanging buckets with water nipples. The goal is to eventually have them all set up to auto fill. My problem is the water nipples I purchased stop working. The first one I noticed were the ELO's normally they don't pay much attention to me unless they need something or I have treats. So I checked and sure enough they weren't getting water. The brand is Harris farms and I've replaced 16 water nipples so far because they just stop working. I'm going to order a different brand but I was curious what everyone else uses.

Make sure there is a way for air to get into bucket if it has a lid there needs to be an air hole in it. Water can't come out without bringing air in from somewhere..The nipple should also have a red nut where the metal waterer piece comes out that can be loosened or tightened to control flow. I had same problem when I used one of those big peanut butter jars with lids on...Put a tiny hole or crack in lid and voila works perfectly now.

Mine have a check valve in the lid to let air in. I didn't know the nut was for adjustment though. I'll try that. Just thought it was for taking it apart if you needed to clean it. Thanks!

828244.jpg
It does that too, but I noticed one day when my silkies seemed to be having trouble getting much I turned it a bit and it started coming out easier for them in better droplets. I'm not sure if mine are same brand but they are from TSC. Here's a pic of ones I use.

Horizontal is the only ones I use ordered like 20 from amazon best price tried the under the bucket style too many leaked horizontal is the best min my view

Thanks everyone. I'm going to adjust the nit and see if that makes a difference. I ordered 10 horizontal nipples to try out and see what I think about those as well.

View attachment 1028191 It does that too, but I noticed one day when my silkies seemed to be having trouble getting much I turned it a bit and it started coming out easier for them in better droplets. I'm not sure if mine are same brand but they are from TSC. Here's a pic of ones I use.

These are the ones I've been having trouble with but I haven't tried adjusting them.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to adjust the nit and see if that makes a difference. I ordered 10 horizontal nipples to try out and see what I think about those as well.
Let us know what you think of the horizontal ones... I've considered them too for my rabbit and so I could sit my waterers on something in winter. Plus could be put at different height for larger or smaller birds. Wasn't sure bout how hard was for spring to compress to get drink.

Horizontal nipples are the way to go. One gallon pitcher that I used in the brooder and the five gallon bucket in the coop.

Attachments

• 20170423_140822.jpg
    20170423_140822.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170422_105015.jpg
    20170422_105015.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom