What kind brooder bedding do I need??

Hawkeye95

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Oklahoma City area
My Coop
My Coop
My chicks will be shipped in 2 weeks, I just went out and bought a heat lamp and food. Now for the brooder part:

Here is what I am contemplating...

1. Shredded newspaper. (I have a confetti shredder and LOTS of newspaper on hand). Other than having to change it often, are their any drawbacks health wise?

2. Pine shavings... do chicks EAT this?? Are shavings dangerous? Is this a safe option?

3. Any other bedding you can recommend?

Newspaper is bad because it is slippery. I recommend the pine shavings because they stay nicer (you can just fluff them up) longer, and I've raised many chicks, and haven't had a problem with them eating the shavings.

I do put a bounty paper towel over half of the shavings for just a few days, and I sprinkle food on the paper towel, just so I'm sure they know the difference between the food and the shavings. (You probably don't need to do that, but I do.)

Hope this helps,
Sharon

Use strips of paper towels (layered)until they are over a week old...then switch to pine bedding.

I used pine shaving with paper towels over them for the first few days. I thought the paper towels were good because I could clearly see the poop and notice any problems early. They were also easy to swap out, which I did 3 times a day.

They are now 2+ weeks old and haven't eaten any of the pine shavings from what I can tell, or if they have it sure hasn't affected the hungry little vultures at all.

Okay, so no issues with the pine bedding, then?? That is-- after they are a week old. For some reason, when I asked about the pine shavings I heard not good things. I figured maybe the chicks eat it, but when I asked, there was no response either way.

Last edited:
Pine shavings are fine....Don't use Cedar shavings!

Just don't use the pine shaving right away...the chicks have to learn what they are supposed to eat first and pine shavings will confuse them.

Last edited:
puppy pee pads sound like they do the same thing the paper towels do-- But I know they have a plastic backing which would keep things dry under it. I'll look into that and see if they have those at walmart

Quote:
thanks, always good to be reminded.
wink.png

Quote:
I get the cheapest ones at Walmart. I started using them for ducklings and then also switched over to them for chicks. They're easy to change out and if they slosh some water out there's no wet bedding.

Back
Top Bottom