What kind of Ameraucana do I have?

Absolutely not arguing because I’m still so new to the game and don’t know everything. But this is what the page we ordered from says concerning their Ameraucanas?

Attachments

• 4DBEE551-3A08-4011-ABC6-AD09E4804850.png
    4DBEE551-3A08-4011-ABC6-AD09E4804850.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 59
Should I assume my other one isn’t an Ameraucana either? She looks exactly like a splash should from what I’ve seen online. And definitely had the chipmunk cheeks.
She definitely has splash coloring. Are her legs a greenish tint with yellow skin under the feet? If so then she’s also an Easter egger! A very cute one though!!

Last edited:
Yes, they are. She’s a cutie, and my daughters favorite.

Well Darn, I feel so stupid now. It’s a little embarrassing. I hope we get the blue eggs we were hoping for. Thanks tho!
She’s definitely adorable!! Don’t feel stupid though, it’s sucks that hatcheries try and label Easter eggers as Ameraucanas! However you will probably get a blue egg from her, just a lighter shade than a true Ameraucana lays! Most of the time Easter eggers do lay light blue/greenish eggs.

Well Darn, I feel so stupid now. It’s a little embarrassing. I hope we get the blue eggs we were hoping for. Thanks tho!
It happens to the best of us,all part of the learning curve!:thumbsup

Don’t feel bad it happens to all of us! And Easter Egger’s are great chickens! Such friendly goofballs with hearts of gold. I have several and one is the nicest rooster I have ever had!he is my avatar.

She definitely has splash coloring. Are her legs a greenish tint with yellow skin under the feet? If so then she’s also an Easter egger! A very cute one though!!
Not so fast!

I'm not certain about the first one. But the second one, the splash, is very much an Ameracuna.

Below are the ABS standards for recognized Ameraucana varieties. A splash, although not YET recognized in large fowl (but recognized in bantams) are currently under review for large fowl.

Genetically, a blue bird is a black bird. The blue gene is a "wash" which in easy terms, the gene fades a black bird to a blue bird. So a blue chicken, carries 1/2 (one parent) blue gene. When you breed two blue birds, you will have 2 parental blue genes, which 25% of the time will result in a "double washed black bird, or a splash. If you were to breed a blue and a splash, you'd have a 50/50 chance of getting a blue bird or a splash. Then, breed splash/splash for 100% splash offspring

But, because a black bird shows zero blue genes, you will never get splash offspring directly from a black bird, even if you breed splash/black.

So with that said, a blue splash Cana can only be the result of breeding two pure Cana together, thus, making it genetically a true ameraucana that you currently wouldn't be able to show. This is furthered in this case, because I can see her little green toe poking out in the pic.

You will absolutely also get the eggs you hope for 😉 (as long as it isn't a cockerel)

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

Last edited:
I would call them Easter eggers, heck even their website under Q&A even state their chicks are classed as "Americanas"
They say they have had their line since the 70's before they were accepted into the APA, so I'm going to assume their original birds were EE hence the yellow skin and lack of beard in so many birds. If that's the case them them only selecting towards blue eggs all this time isn't going to make them magically become Ameraucana, it will just produce more EE

Back
Top Bottom