1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of bedding is best for ducklings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ducklover1243, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ducklover1243

ducklover1243 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Hi, I have two khaki campbell ducklings and 2 cayuga ducklings aged about a week, and I'm looking for some advice on better bedding to use for them. Currently I use a towel, but they muck around ALOT and I am having to clean it three times a day. I love them and I know that this may just be and have to be because ducklings are messy so Idon't mind doing it, but is there a different bedding I can use for them other than straw that isn't harmful? I would like to use the kind of material that you can scoop the poops out with a cap litter scoop with, (I believe this is shavings) but is this harmful?

I also have some water issues with them as they splash their water ALL AROUND and right now I have tried to stop it by putting medium sized rocks in their waterer (is the right kind, duckling pre-made sized) but it i s till getting messy, but it isnt really working although it has helped. I have the waterer on a small cookie pan with raised edges, along with a face towel on top of that. But the face towel is getting soaked and yucky and I have to clean that three times a day also! I have heard that a good way to fix this is putting VERY small-interval wiring over the pan so that the water goes through is this true?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    if you go to index there is a whole section dedicated to ducks. You will find lots of help there. I used pine shavings but still everyone getting wet. Check out the posts on keeping ducks clean. Several of us posted ideas there.

3. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    My ducklings were disgusting! I tried shavings, puppy pads, and sand. It didn't matter what it was, the amount of water that they spill makes everything smell horrible. I even gave them a chick waterer to keep them from getting IN the water, until their bills got to big to get a drink. I finally said, enough, and moved them to a tractor outside on the grass. Problem solved! They smell so much better, stay cleaner, and I don't mind them getting in their water now.
    Depending on your weather, I would say kick them outside. It will make things sooo much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by